Development Application (Planning)
Development Approval may be required prior to commencing or carrying out any development or use of land within the City of Wanneroo. The approval will also detail any conditions under which land or buildings can generally be used.
A wide variety of activities are classified as development including changing the use of a premise from one activity to another activity. It is important for these developments to have the correct approvals from your Local Government.
To find out what approvals are required by the City click below to view an A-Z list of development types.
Development Application Requirements
Mandatory Checklist Requirements - All applications must be accompanied by:
- Completed Application for Development Approval Form and Checklist;
- Metropolitan Region Scheme (MRS) Form 1 (only required if approval from the Western Australian Planning Commission (WAPC) is required);
- Completed Development Approval Owner Consent Form (only required when lodging online);
- Application Fee/s - Refer to the Planning Fee Schedule;
- Copy of Current Certificate of Title;
- Covering Letter Outlining the Proposal; and
- One (1) copy of site, floor, elevation and site feature survey plans drawn to scale.
You can lodge an application via our Online Lodgement Service.
You can lodge an application over the counter at the City of Wanneroo Civic Centre located at 23 Dundebar Road, Wanneroo during the business hours of Monday-Friday 8.30am - 5.00pm.
You can lodge an application via post to:
City of Wanneroo
Locked Bag 1
WANNEROO WA 6946
Development Assessment Panel
Find our more about the Development Assessment Panel.
Find our more about Bushfire Regulations.
Design WA (Multiple Dwellings/ Apartments)
Find our more about Design WA.
The City will ebdeavour to assess your application as soon as possible. However, under the City's District Planning Scheme No. 2 (DPS 2), the City has 60 days in which to determine an application, or 90 days should the City advertise the application.
In addition to a development application being required, building and health permits may also need to be obtained prior to commencing works/ use. For further information please refer to the City's website for further information or contact the City on 9405 5000.
Should you require further assistance please please contact the City by either:
- Phone: 9405 5000 or use our online enquiries form; or
- Email to email@example.com and attention your email to Approval Services. Please provide the property address and details of your query.
You can apply for a development approval online with the exception of:
Applications where proposed development is over $10 million
Applications where proposed development is over $2 million
Your application can either be assessed by -
Various Council approvals are required depending on the category of home based business.
Home Business Category 1
Planning approval is not required but a letter of compliance can be provided upon written request (please complete Planning Request form and return to the City of Wanneroo with all relevant supporting documentation).
Health approvals - If you are running a family day care business and providing any food to children (not including food provided by their parents) then you need to complete and submit a Notification and Registration Form - Food Act 2008.
Home Business Category 2 and 3
Planning approval is always required. You must complete the following application form and attach to this Development Application:
Health approvals are also required for home based food, hair and beauty or family day care businesses.
• Food: If you prepare, pack, store, handle, serve or supply food from a residential premises for sale or provided as part of a service to the public, you need to complete and submit an Application to operate a food business from a Residential (Home) Premises. An information sheet is available with further details. If you intend to operate a mobile food business you will also need to complete a Trading in Public Places application form.
• Hair Dressing & Skin Penetration: If your home business involves any form of hair dressing or skin penetration (e.g. tattooing, ear piercing) you need to complete and submit a Hair Dressing and Skin Penetration Notification Form. Some useful information sheets are available through the Department of Health.
• Family Day Care: If you are providing any food to children, not including food provided by their parents, then you need to complete and submit an Application to operate a food business from a Residential (Home) Premises.