Harvest and Vehicle Movement Ban, City of Wanneroo - 6 December 2019

A ban on the use or operation of engines, vehicles, plant or machinery from 10am Friday, 6 December 2019 until 6pm, Friday 6 December 2019 for the whole of the City of Wanneroo. More information


Additions and extensions

If you're intending to complete any building work involving alterations or extensions and changes in ground levels you'll require a building permit and, in many cases, a development approval prior to commencement.

Development (Planning) Approval

This is a legal document issued under the Planning & Development Act 2005, which certifies that land or buildings can be used for a specific purpose. The approval will also detail any conditions under which land or buildings can generally be used.

A Development Approval is required prior to commecing or carrying out any development or use of land within the City of Wanneroo.

Building Permit

This is the authority (approval) for a person to carry out building works on land.

Health Approvals

Health approvals are required for buildings that will incorporate any of the following activities:

  • accommodation (non-residential)
  • trading in public places (i.e. outdoor dining, street trading & street markets
  • food handling 
  • hairdressing
  • beauty therapy 
  • skin penetration (i.e. waxing, tattooing)
  • keeping of animals
  • meat processing

Step 1. Development (Planning) Approval (always required)

As part of the additions and extensions, if you are planning to any of the following you need to submit a Development Application for approval.

Speak with a Planning Officer: 9405 5000

Step 2. Building Permit (always required)

A Building Permit is required for all non-residential additions and extensions.

Please note: Development Approval (step 1) is required before you can submit an 'Application for Building Permit – Certified'.

Speak with a Building Surveyor: 9405 5000

Step 3. Health Approvals (sometimes required)

Health approvals are required for buildings that will incorporate any of the following activities:

  • public buildings
  • food business
  • street traders/mobile food vendors
  • liquor and gaming licences
  • hair dressing and skin penetration premises
  • caravan parks and camping grounds
  • kennels and catteries
  • other requirements include: noise, unauthorised discharges.

Forms & Information Sheets

Speak with an Environmental Health Officer on 9405 5000.