Rates information

Rates frequently asked questions

How do I pay online?

Go to our online payments page to pay online

Can I make a payment arrangement?

Yes - please complete our rates payment arrangement form to request an arrangement.

I paid for an instalment of my rates, but I now have a final notice. Why is this?

If the exact amount of the rates first instalment was not paid in full (in one transaction) by the due date of the 5 September 2016 then the owner will not have automatically been placed on the instalment option.  Please complete our rates payment arranagement form to request to pay by the four instalment option..

Does the four instalment option accrue interest and admin fees?

Yes, the intalment options and any additional charges are detailed on the front of your rates notice.

The four instalment option includes an administration charge of $15 and a lost potential interest rate of 5.5%.

Failure to make either the third or fourth payment by the due date will result in Council revoking your right to pay the balance of your rates by instalments and the full balance may then be recovered.

Any amounts outstanding after the due date may be recovered by legal action.

PLEASE NOTE: Any legal action undertaken by Council will result in additional expenses being incurred by the ratepayer.

Eligible pensioners are exempt from additional charges on their rebate portion only. The rebate is funded by the Government of Western Australia.

I've received a final notice but am unable to pay my rates by the due date. Can I set up a payment arrangement?

Yes, the City offers payment arrangements.  Payments can be made on an agreed weekly, fortnightly or monthly. 

For further information go to our 'How to pay your rates' webpage.

Can I object to my property's valuation?

If you feel that the valuation applies to your property is incorrect you can lodge an objection with the Valuer General's Office within 60 days of the issue of your Rates Notice. 

For further information please contact the Valuer General's Office on 9273 7373.

I've lodged an objection to my rates and have received a final notice. Do I have to pay?

Yes, rates must be paid as assessed by the due date irrespective of whether an objection has been lodged.  Any reduction in rates as a result of a successful objection will be refunded. Interest shall being to accrue on rates if they are not paid in full. Daily interest at 8.45%pa on general rates and 11% on emergency services levy. 

What if I change address?

It is the responsibility of the owner to advice Rating Services when a change of address takes place, which would prevent the effective service of the Rates Notice.

Please notify Council of your change of residential and/or mailing address by completing the form below.

Change of address form

What if the property changes ownership?

Under the provisions of Secion 9.68 of the Local Government Act 1995, written notice must be given to the City within 21 days, whenever any person sells or otherwise disposes of any rateable land. Details of the description of the land and then name and address of the purchaser must be stated. 

Please notify Council of any changes to ownership of your property in writing if you have not engaged a Settlement Agent/Conveyancer to effect the sale or disposal of your property.

  • Contact us via our online form; or
  • Send a letter to City of Wanneroo, Locked Bag 1, WANNEROO WA 6946; or
  • Hand deliver a letter:
    - Civic Centre, 23 Dundebar Rd, Wanneroo. Mon-Fri between 8:30am and 5pm
    - Clarkson Library, 27 Ocean Keys Bvd, Clarkson. Mon-Fri between 9am and noon & 12:45pm and 5pm