Free Hazardous Waste Collection Day - 1 June 2019
Published Tuesday, 28th May 2019
The City of Wanneroo is holding a free Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day this Saturday, 1 June 2019.
Residents can safely dispose of unwanted household chemicals and hazardous materials for free at Ashby Operations Centre between 9am and 1pm.
City of Wanneroo Mayor Tracey Roberts said there are a number of hazardous items that must NOT go in general waste or recycling bins.
“I urge the community to make use of this free opportunity,” Mayor Roberts said. “It is surprising how many household items are actually hazardous, which is why it is so important they are disposed of correctly.”
Only domestic waste will be accepted with a limit of 20kg or litres per material type.
Materials accepted include:
- Acids and alkalis
- Batteries (household)
- Engine coolants and glycols
- Fire extinguishers - Non halon (red) only
- Fluorescent lamps and tubes (CLFs)
- Gas cylinders (small household)
- Household chemicals (e.g. cleaners)
- Pool chemicals
- Smoke detectors
- Unknown chemicals must be in sealed, chemical resistant containers.
Materials not accepted include:
- Commercial and industrial waste
- Electronic waste
- EPIRBs and PLBs
- Explosives, ammunition and firearms
- Fire extinguishers - Halon (yellow)
- Medications and pharmaceuticals
- Mobile phones
- Motor oil and cooking oil
- Printer cartridges/toners
- Sharps and needles
Ashby Operations Centre is located at 1204 Wanneroo Road, Ashby.
If residents cannot attend this event, they can take their hazardous household waste toTamala Park Waste Management Facility or Recycling Centre Balcatta seven days a week.
For more information, visit: wastenet.net.au/hhw.
More articles in the news archive.