Community Group Roles and Responsibilities
The board or committee of a community group is responsible for the governance of the organisation; keeping it true to its mission, managing finances and policies to develop and operate the group according to its constitution. A variety of roles within the committee help to define the responsibilities of each member.
- Main public contact of the group;
- Chairing meetings;
- Guide and determine policiesl;
- Prepare the group's Annual Report;
- Ensuring proper procedures are in place.
- Prepare and issue group correspondence including meeting agendas;
- Assist in organisation of meetings and take minutes;
- Ensure legal requirements such as incorporation and insurance matters are handled.
- Maintain financial records for the group;
- Coordinate any money handling;
- Develop budgets and report on financial standing;
- Represent group for funding applications
Board members are usually elected each year at the group's Annual General Meeting (AGM).
Further information can be accessed via the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries website.