; Recovery Information - December 2019 - Bushfire Information - December 2019 - City of Wanneroo

COVID-19 update - Friday 7 May 2021

Information on the current transitional restrictions for City of Wanneroo facilities can be found on our COVID-19 information page. Further information


Bushfire Information - December 2019

Recovery Information - December 2019

Forest regrowing after fire

Bulk rubbish and waste collections

Regular bin collections will now continue as normal. If you need an extra collection of spoiled food from the fridge/freezer or burnt debris and vegetation caused by the fire, please contact the City at: enquiries@wanneroo.wa.gov.au

Water and power

Make contact with the relevant agency to find out more about water and power supply to your property:

Water Corporation:
Phone: 13 14 50      
Website: www.watercorporation.com.au
Western Power:
Phone: 13 10 87
Website: www.westernpower.com.au

Department of Health information sheets

Click below to view information sheets from the Department of Health.

Department of Health website: www.healthywa.wa.gov.au

Australian Red Cross information sheets

Support services and helpful contacts

Emergency numbers

  • Police/Ambulance/Fire - life threatening emergencies only 000
  • SES assistance 132 500

Warnings and alerts

DFES have also created an information brochure to help recover from the impacts of a bushfire:



  • City of Wanneroo
    Phone: 9405 5000
  • Australian Red Cross
    Red Cross volunteers will visit the communities of Seatrees and Breakwater. Working with the City of Wanneroo, Red Cross volunteers will provide recovery information to support you and your families. Two Rocks and Yanchep residents can also request a visit by emailing: enquiries@wanneroo.wa.gov.au 
    Phone: 1800 246 850 - website: www.redcross.org.au
  • Anglicare Emergency Relief
    Phone: 9247 9705 - website: www.anglicare.org.au
  • Lifeline
    Phone: 13 11 14 - website: www.lifeline.org.au
  • Salvation Army
    Phone: 9260 9500 - website: www.salvationarmy.org.au
  • Insurance Council of Western Australia
    Phone: 1300 728 228 - website: www.icwa.wa.gov.au
  • Wildcare helpline (Department of Parks and Wildlife)
    Phone: 9474 9055 - website: www.dpaw.wa.gov.au

Frequently Asked Questions

View a list of frequently asked questions on the fire and recovery process by clicking below. 

What is the lastest update on the fire?

Visit the Department of Fire & Emergency Services website where you can find up-to-date information on all types of emergencies and their current status. 


What road closures are still in place?

You can stay up-to-date on road closure information relating to the fires through the following channels:


How and what can I donate?

Whilst donations are very much appreciated, the City of Wanneroo cannot receive any donations and encourages those who wish to be generous through donating via the Lord Mayor’s General Appeal


I’d like to offer my volunteer services to support the local community, how can I do this?

The City of Wanneroo encourages community members whom wish to offer volunteer services to utilise local Facebook pages or local community notice boards to promote the services they wish to provide during the recovery stage of those who have been impacted by the fires. 


Where can I find volunteers to help with the clean-up and support me through recovery?

The City of Wanneroo encourages community members whom wish to seek volunteer services to keep an eye out on local Facebook pages or local community notice boards.


How can I keep informed about when a Harvest, Hot Works, Vehicle Movement or Total Fire Ban is declared?

The City of Wanneroo offers a complimentary SMS notification service to residents when a Harvest, Hot Works, Vehicle Movement or Total Fire Ban is declared. To subscribe to this service click below: http://www.wanneroo.wa.gov.au/emergencysmsnotifications


My power was off for several days, do you know if Western Power offer any support?

Community members affected by power outages lasting 12 continuous hours or more, may be eligible for an $80 service standard. You can contact Western Power on 131 087 or by visiting - the Western Power website.

Any other bushfire related enquiries, please call Western Powers hotline on 9326 4850 or by emailing: communityenquiries@westerpower.com.au


I don’t have a lot of money due to not being able to return home after the fires, what support services are available?

Anyone requiring any financial support following being impacted by the fires can contact: 

The Spiers Centre on 9401 2699 or by visiting their Neighbourhood Centre at 2 Albatross Court Heathridge (please note The Spiers Centre will be closed over the festive period). 

Alternatively please contact Uniting Care West on 9220 1255 or visit them at 56 Baltimore Parade, Merriwa.


Is there anyone who offers emotional support after being impacted by the fires?

There are a number of services able to offer counselling services or emotional support. 

Red Cross will be offering an Outreach Services from 4 January to those who have been recently impacted by the Yanchep / Two Rocks fires. 

Alternatively other local services available are: 

Uniting Care West Outer North Hub 
56 Baltimore Parade Merriwa - 9220 1255

Headspace visit Yanchep High School once a week 
Headspace Joondalup – 9301 8900 

Anglicare – 9301 8500

Mercycare Merriwa – 6298 9860 


How can I get rid of the smoke that is in my home?

Once you know the air quality is safe, aerate your home. There could be range of reasons why the smoke is still remaining in the home so please contact the City’s Health Services team on 9405 5000.