; COVID-19 frequently asked questions - COVID-19 information - City of Wanneroo

COVID-19 update - Friday 7 May 2021

Information on the current transitional restrictions for City of Wanneroo facilities can be found on our COVID-19 information page. Further information


COVID-19 information

COVID-19 frequently asked questions

City Services

I’ve seen people ignoring social distancing requirements. What is the City doing about this?

Getting everyone to follow the rules can be a challenge at times, and we are pleased to see that most of our community is doing the right thing and following the State and Federal Government restrictions and regulations.

The City is unable to enforce social distancing laws as this is a Police matter, however, our Rangers are monitoring the City’s public places and are educating people about social distancing when necessary.


What can I do about anti-social behaviour in my neighbourhood during the COVID-19 pandemic?

The City provides a 24/7 community safety service for our residents. Our rangers work closely with police and other agencies to report anti-social or criminal behaviour. Please call the City’s Ranger and Safety Services on 9405 5000 during office hours and 1300 138 393 after hours if you require assistance.

You should contact WA Police to report:

  • Hooning
  • Alcohol and drug use
  • Noisy parties
  • Theft
  • Assault
  • Domestic Violence.
Call Police on 000 in an emergency or life-threatening situation or 131 444 for Police assistance in non-emergency situations.


Will the City continue to collect my household rubbish during the pandemic?

The pandemic has not impacted the City’s waste collection services. Waste and recycling bin days remain the same and the City is carrying out scheduled bulk and green waste verge collections. More information is available on the Waste and Recycling page.


I am finding it difficult to work from home because my neighbour’s dog barks all day. Can the City intervene?

The City recommends speaking to your neighbour first. It is possible that they are unaware that their dog is being a nuisance by barking. If that fails, you can make a formal complaint.


Can I visit parks, playgrounds, skate parks and exercise areas during the pandemic?

You can visit the City’s parks to exercise provided you adhere to social distancing guidelines. To help slow the spread of COVID-19, the City has closed all playgrounds, outdoor fitness equipment, BMX tracks, and skate parks.

Community activities

When will my group be able to meet again at our local community centre?

The City’s priority is the health and safety of its community, patrons and employees. The City will base decisions about when to reopen its youth and community centres on advice from health authorities.


Can my event still go ahead?

For the latest information about planning and holding events contact Healthy WA.

Seeking help

My business has closed, how will I pay my rent?

The City is supporting local businesses through this difficult time but is unable to provide direct financial assistance towards rent and other business expenses. The Federal Government has introduced a number of financial support measures for businesses.

You may also find government and corporate grants available to businesses through the Wanneroo Funding Finder.


I am experiencing serious financial problems due to COVID-19. Where can I get help?

If you are a casual worker or have lost your job due to COVID-19 you can apply for a Centrelink Job Seeker Payment.

The City has compiled an extensive list of community support services for people in financial hardship including those experiencing homelessness or requiring food assistance.

If you prefer to speak to someone in person, the City’s Community Development team is available on 9405 5000.

The City also has a designated phone number – 9405 5000 for seniors or vulnerable residents who require assistance. Our people are available by phone Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 5pm.

The Financial Counsellors’ Association of WA can help in a number of ways including putting people in touch with local financial counsellors.


I am worried that I won’t be able to pay my rates this year. Will the City provide rate relief?

The Wanneroo City Council has agreed to freeze rates per property as well as fees and charges as part of its 2020/21 budget.

The Council has also asked the City to consider a six-month moratorium on late payment interest from 1 July 2020 to 31 December 2020.

These financial support measures were announced in April.

You may also wish to read the City’s Financial Hardship Policy to see if it applies to your situation.

If your financial circumstances have changed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and you are concerned about paying rates and service charges, contact the City's Rates Department on 9405 5000 (option 3).


I am a senior who needs help at home. Do you provide this service?

The City does not provide direct support services to seniors. For information about government funded services including home help visit the My Aged Care website or call 1800 200 422.

St Jude’s Health Care Services has received a Federal Government grant to provide free in home support during the COVID-19 pandemic. Services include shopping, personal care, meal preparation and gardening. To book call 9279 4343.


I have a disability/am the carer of someone with a disability, where can I find support?

The Australian Government’s Disability Information Helpline connects people with services, gives reliable and accessible information, and can refer people to a councillor if they require emotional support. The Service is Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm (AEST) and Saturday and Sunday 9am to 7pm (AEST).

  • Phone (free call): 1800 643 787
  • If you have a hearing or speech impairment, you can also call the National Relay Service on 133 677


English is not my first language. How can I access information about COVID-19?

You can access the latest information about COVID-19 in other languages through the Federal Government. SBS also provides information in 63 languages.

You can also access translated information from the Department of Home Affairs.


I am an international student. Where can I go to for help?

Your educational institution should be able to advise you about where to access help. You can also visit the Federal’s Government’s Resource Hub for international study.

The City has compiled an extensive list of community support services for people in financial hardship however some may have eligibility requirements relating to residency/visa status.

Offering help

I am part of a not-for-profit community group that runs COVID-19 support services and activities. How can I apply for funding?

Lotterywest is providing funding to eligible community groups and organisations for emergency and relief services.

A directory of grants available to community groups is also available on the Wanneroo Funding Finder.


I am concerned about my neighbours and want to help them. Do you have advice about how I should do this?

The City has designed postcards for you to give to neighbours who are self-isolating, social distancing or need extra help.

If you are concerned about an elderly neighbour, the Red Cross Telecross service provides daily wellbeing check-ups to seniors.

Your neighbour may be eligible for Cahoots Connects, an essential shopping/delivery/unpacking service that helps eligible people access essential groceries.