New Strategic Community Plan 2021-2031 adopted
After an extensive stakeholder engagement process, the City of Wanneroo Council adopted its new Strategic Community Plan 2021-2031 on 15 June 2021 – see plan attached.
This ten-year future focused plan has been developed in line with the future aspirations and priorities of the local community.
The Strategic Community Plan is the City’s highest level planning document and is a legislative requirement under the Local Government Act 1995 and Local Government (Administration) Regulations 1996.
WA Councils are required to undertake a major review of their Strategic Community Plan (or “Plan for the Future”) every four years. The next major review will take place during the 2023/24 financial year.
Draft Vision, Purpose, Goals and Priorities
The SCP features a draft Vision and Purpose statements along with seven Strategic Goals and 33 Strategic Priorities based on stakeholder feedback on community aspirations, priorities and challenges.
The City’s draft Vision Statement is:
‘A welcoming community, connected through local opportunities’
The City’s draft Purpose Statement is:
To create a strong community with local opportunities to participate, be active, feel secure, contribute and belong.
The City’s seven draft Strategic Goals and linked Priorities, which are outlined in detail on the first page in the attached plan, follow:
- Goal 1 – An inclusive and accessible City with places and spaces that embrace all
- Goal 2 – A City that celebrates rich cultural histories, where people can visit and enjoy unique experiences
- Goal 3 – An innovative City with exciting local opportunities for work, business and investment
- Goal 4 – A sustainable City that balances the relationship between urban growth, natural assets and the environment
- Goal 5 – A well planned, safe and resilient City that is easy to travel around and provides a connection between people and places
- Goal 6 – A future focused City that advocates, engages and partners to progress the priorities of the community
- Goal 7 – A well governed and managed City that makes informed decisions and provides valued customer focused services
Under the Local Government Act 1995 and Local Government (Administration) Regulations 1996, WA Councils are required to undertake a major review of their Strategic Community Plan (or “Plan for the Future”) every four years.
The stakeholder engagement for the review of the Strategic Community Plan will also provide input into the development of a Smart City strategy, assist with a review of the City’s current Community Development led plans and provide basic initial input into the review of the City’s Local Planning Strategy.