; Voting in elections - Local Government Elections 2021 - City of Wanneroo

Local Government Elections 2021

Voting in elections

In order to vote in council elections, you must be enrolled on either the State electoral roll (Residents Roll) or the City of Wanneroo Non-resident Owners and Occupiers Roll.

Local election enrolment poster

Residents Roll

The Residents Roll is maintained by the Western Australian Electoral Commission. People who live in the City of Wanneroo and are on the state electoral roll will automatically be on this roll.

If you are not already on the state electoral roll and meet the eligibility criteria, or if you have changed address recently, you must complete an enrolment form via the Western Australian Electoral Commission website

For more information phone: 13 63 06 (WA only) or (08) 9214 0400. 

To check your enrolment status visit the Western Australian Electoral Commission website

Non-Resident Owners and Occupiers Roll

This roll comprises people who are on the State or Commonwealth electoral roll and who:

  • Own rateable property in the City, but do not live there
  • Occupy rateable property in the City (by leasing or renting).

All eligible electors are able to vote once in any ward for which they are enrolled.  If there are more than two co-owners or occupiers in rateable property (including a body corporate or business), two eligible electors can be nominated to represent the group of owners or occupiers.

More information can be found in our Owner/Occupier Roll information sheet below:

Owner/Occupier Roll information sheet


To qualify each owner or occupier must:

  • Be enrolled on the State or Commonwealth Electoral Roll;
  • Own or occupy rateable property in the electorate;
  • Have been on the last electoral roll prepared under the Local Government Act 1960 for that electorate; and,
  • Have owned or occupied rateable property in the electorate since that roll was prepared.

The Non-Resident Owners and Occupiers Roll can consist of the following:

Non-Resident Owner eligibility

Each rateable property may claim up to two owners or owner nominees on the roll. Owners of land who were on the last local government roll continue to retain that status until they cease to own the rateable property to which the enrolment relates.

Occupier eligibility

Occupiers of rateable land within a Ward of the City but are not on the residents roll for that Ward. To be eligible to enrol as an occupier, the applicant must have a right of continuous occupation under a lease, tenancy agreement or other legal instrument. This must be for at least the next three months following the date of the application to enrol.

Joint Owners or Occupiers

Where the property is owned or occupied by more than two people, a majority of the owners and occupiers may nominate two persons amongst themselves, to be enrolled to vote. 


  • A body corporate, which owns or occupies rateable property, may nominate two persons to vote on their behalf.  
  • The nominees must be on either the State or Commonwealth electoral rolls.  
  • If the body corporate owns properties in more than one ward the same nominees must apply for both wards.  The nominees remain on the roll until the property is either sold or the corporate body changes its nominees.  
  • The application form is to be signed by an officer of the body corporate.

Applying to go on Owner and Occupiers Electoral Roll

To apply to enrol please click on the relevant link below and complete the form:

Non-resident property owner/occupier - Form 2 Enrolment Eligibility Claim

Body corporate/business owner/occupier - Form 2A Application to Register A Nominee for a Body Corporate

It is important that the form is filled in completely. In particular full name (surname and all given names in full), date of birth and the address on the State or Commonwealth electoral roll are mandatory as these are used to check a valid enrolment application.

Please return your form to:
City of Wanneroo
Locked Bag 1, 
Wanneroo 6065

Enrolment claims can be lodged at any time however, enrolments for any particular election close 5pm on the 50th day before Election Day.

For all election enquiries please contact:
Council & Corporate Support - 9405 5000 or email: elections@wanneroo.wa.gov.au

Expiry of vote on Owners and Occupiers Electoral Roll

Owner, occupiers or owner/occupier nominees remain on the electoral roll for the next two ordinary elections in the City.  After that period, if the elector wants to remain on the owner and occupiers roll they will need to complete another eligibility claim form

An owner remains on the roll until the property is sold or in the case of owner nominees, either until the property is sold or the corporate body changes its nominees.

The voting process

The following steps occur in the voting process:

  1. An election voting package is posted to all City of Wanneroo electors approximately three weeks before election day.
  2. Electors must complete and return the ballot via post or in person to the City by 6pm on election day.  
  3. The election count commences at 6pm that same day and the results are usually available later that evening.

To view past election results, please visit the Western Australian Electoral Commission website.

Returning Officer

The City’s Returning Officer is appointed by the Western Australian Electoral Commission and is responsible for the conduct and processes associated with the City of Wanneroo local government elections. The Returning Officer is able to provide further information to the election process.

Returning Officer: Kelly Dansie
Phone: 0456 708 670
Email: LGro_wan@elections.wa.gov.au