; Voting in local elections - Local Government Elections 2023 - City of Wanneroo

Local Government Elections 2023

Voting in local elections

To vote in City of Wanneroo Council elections, you need to be enrolled on the Western Australian Electoral Commission (WAEC) Residents Roll for the Wanneroo district or the Non-resident Owners and Occupiers Roll for the City of Wanneroo.

Residents Roll

This roll, otherwise known as the WA State Electoral Roll, is maintained by the WAEC. If your registered address on the State Electoral Roll falls within the City of Wanneroo, you are automatically enrolled on the City's Residents Roll.

You can check your enrolment status with the Western Australian Electoral Commission online.

If you are not already on the State Electoral Roll and meet the eligibility criteria, or if you have changed address recently, you will need to complete an enrolment form via the Western Australian Electoral Commission website

For more information, phone 13 63 06 (WA only) or (08) 9214 0400

Non-Resident Owners and Occupiers Roll

This roll includes people who are on the State or Commonwealth electoral roll and:

  • Pay rates for a property that you own in the City, but do not live there
  • Occupy a property in the City through a legal leasing agreement. 

Eligible voters can vote once in any ward that you are enrolled in. If there are more than two co-owners or occupiers in a rateable property (including a body corporate or business), two eligible voters can be nominated to represent the group of owners or occupiers.

Download the Owner/Occupier Roll Information Sheet


To qualify each owner or occupier must:

  • Be enrolled on the State or Commonwealth Electoral Roll;
  • Own or occupy rateable property in the electorate;
  • Have been on the last electoral roll prepared under the Local Government Act 1960 for that electorate; and,
  • Have owned or occupied rateable property in the electorate since that roll was prepared.

The Non-Resident Owners and Occupiers Roll can consist of the following:

Non-Resident Owner eligibility

Each rateable property may claim up to two owners or owner nominees on the roll. Owners of land who were on the last local government roll continue to retain that status until they cease to own the rateable property to which the enrolment relates.


Occupier eligibility

Occupiers of rateable land within a Ward of the City but are not on the residents roll for that Ward. To be eligible to enrol as an occupier, the applicant must have a right of continuous occupation under a lease, tenancy agreement or other legal instrument. This must be for at least the next three months following the date of the application to enrol.


Joint Owners or Occupiers

Where the property is owned or occupied by more than two people, a majority of the owners and occupiers may nominate two persons amongst themselves, to be enrolled to vote. 



  • A body corporate, which owns or occupies rateable property, may nominate two persons to vote on their behalf.  
  • The nominees must be on either the State or Commonwealth electoral rolls.  
  • If the body corporate owns properties in more than one ward the same nominees must apply for both wards.  The nominees will remain on the roll for two ordinary elections or until the property is sold or the corporate body changes its nominees, whichever occurs first.  
  • The application form is to be signed by an officer of the body corporate.

How to apply for the Owner and Occupiers Electoral Roll

Complete the relevant form below to apply:

It is important that the form is filled in completely. In particular full name (surname and all given names in full), date of birth and the address on the State or Commonwealth electoral roll are mandatory as these are used to check a valid enrolment application.

Please return your form via email (preferred) or mail to:

Enrolment claims can be lodged at any time however, enrolments for any particular election close 5pm on the 57th day before Election Day.

For all election enquiries please contact:
Council Elections Officer - (08) 9405 5000 or email: elections@wanneroo.wa.gov.au

Expiry of vote on Owners and Occupiers Electoral Roll

Occupiers or occupier nominees remain on the electoral roll for the next two ordinary elections in the City.  After that period, if the elector wants to remain on the owner and occupiers roll they will need to complete another eligibility claim form

An owner remains on the roll until the property is sold.

The voting process

The following steps occur in the voting process:

  1. An election voting package is posted to all City of Wanneroo electors approximately three weeks before election day.
  2. Electors must complete and return the ballot via post or in person to the City by 6pm on election day.  
  3. The election count commences at 6pm that same day.
  4. Results are declared by the Returning Officer. 

To view past election results, please visit the Western Australian Electoral Commission website.