; Liquor Licence (Section 40 Certificate) - Liquor Licence (Section 40 Certificate) - City of Wanneroo

COVID-19 recovery information and updates

The City of Wanneroo is reopening a number of community services and facilities in line with Phase 4 of the State Government's COVID-19 Roadmap to Recovery. Click here to find out more


Liquor Licence (Section 40 Certificate)

Liquor Licence (Section 40 Certificate) 

Liquor Control Act 1988

The Liquor Control Act 1988 regulates the sale, supply and consumption of liquor, the use of premises on which liquor is sold and the services and facilities provided in conjunction with, or ancillary to the sale of liquor in order to minimise harm or ill-health caused to people, or any group of people due to the use of liquor.

What is a Section 40 Certificate? - Local Planning Authority

A liquor licence from the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries is required to be obtained for the sale of liquor from a premises. Section 40 of the Liquor Control Act 1988 requires a certificate from the local authority to be submitted for the grant or removal of a licence, or for a change in this use or condition of any premises, unless otherwise determined.

A Section 40 Certificate is required to state that the proposed use of the premises is consistent with the current planning approval affecting the property.

How do I apply for a Section 40 Certificate?

To obtain a Section 40 Certificate the applicant must submit the following information to the City of Wanneroo:

  • Completed City of Wanneroo Section 40 Certificate Application Form; *
  • Completed Form LLD15 Section 40 Certificate of Local Planning Authority (a Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries form); *
  • Application Fee for Section 40 Certificate (Refer to Planning Fee Schedule);
  • Detailed Site Plan (to scale) clearly identifying the proposed liquor area intended for use; and
  • Detailed Internal Floor Plan, highlighting the specific area/s where the liquor licence will apply (eg. Main Hall, Dining Room etc)

* If you opt to lodge your application online via the below link, these application forms are not required

Lodgement Options


You can lodge an application via our Online Lodgement Service.

In Person
You can lodge an application over the counter at the City of Wanneroo Civic Centre located at 23 Dundebar Road, Wanneroo during the business hours of Monday-Friday 8.30am - 5.00pm.

By Post
You can lodge an application via post to:
City of Wanneroo
Locked Bag 1

Applicants should ensure that requests for Section 40 Certificates are lodged promptly to ensure that the City has sufficient time to process the application. To assist with timely processing of applications, applicants should ensure that all application forms, fees, supporting documentation are submitted at the time of lodgement.

In line with the City's recordkeeping requirements, please ensure that the information included on this form is accurate and complete and please retain a copy of the completed form before submitting with the City as the form and any supporting documents will not be returned. The City accepts no responsibility for any loss, damage, liability or inconvenience suffered by any person as a result of using the form or lodging the form with the City.

Where can I find out more information about Liquor Licences?
Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries
Phone: (08) 6551 4888
Free Call: 1800 634 541 (WA country callers only)
Website: https://www.dlgsc.wa.gov.au/racing-gaming-and-liquor