; Bushfire 2023 - Frequently Asked Questions - Bushfire information 2023 - City of Wanneroo

Bushfire information 2023

Bushfire 2023 - Frequently Asked Questions

On this page:

Bushfire updates 

What is the latest update on the fire?

The Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES) downgraded the Mariginiup bushfire to an ‘all clear’ on 5 December 2023. DFES continues to monitor the affected area. Visit emergencywa for up to date information on all types of emergencies and their current status.


Are road closures still in place?

Stay up-to-date on road closure information via emergencywa or the Main Roads Western Australia Travel Map.


How can I keep informed about when a Harvest, Hot Works, Vehicle Movement or Total Fire Ban is declared?

The City of Wanneroo offers a complimentary SMS notification service to residents when a Harvest, Hot Works, Vehicle Movement or Total Fire Ban is declared. To subscribe to this service, visit wanneroo.wa.gov.au/emergencysmsnotifications.


Back to top

Planning and building

Do I need a Building Permit to rebuild or repair my house or shed that was damaged or burned down in the recent bushfire event?

A Building Permit is required for all building works as defined in the Building Act 2011. Please note, some remedial works may fall under the exemptions listed in Schedule 4 (item 2) of the Building Regulations.

Please contact the City’s Building Services department to discuss your situation 9405 5000.


Do I need planning approval to have a caravan or temporary accommodation on my lot where my main residence has been damaged or burned down and is no longer habitable?

No, the City will accept temporary accommodation for those affected by the Mariginiup bushfires as temporary works and allow use on the lot for up to two years without the need for planning approval under the Planning and Development (Local Planning Schemes) Regulations 2015 Schedule 2 Cl. 61 (1) and (2).

You are required to request this exemption in writing with proof of damage to your main residence which results in it being non-habitable. Please submit your request to approvals@wanneroo.wa.gov.au.


Do I need to pay fees to submit applications to demolish, rebuild or repair my home or structures or remove vegetation that was damaged in the bushfire?

The City intends to waive the applicable fees associated with the above applications. Please email all applications along with a fee exemption request and proof of damage to mariginiuprecovery@wanneroo.wa.gov.au and a member of the Approvals team will contact you.

Please note: The City can only waive fees we administer. We cannot waive fees charged by external parties, such as the Construction Training Fund or Building Services Levy.


Do I need a Demolition Permit to remove my damaged building or shed as a result of the recent bushfire event?

A Demolition Permit is required for demolition and removal of a building (or shed over 40m2) that has been destroyed.  

A Demolition Permit is generally not required for remedial work as any demolition work can be completed as part of the standard Building Permit process.

Please contact the City’s Building Services department to discuss your situation 9405 5000.


Back to top

Recovery and clean up

My power was off for several days during the bushfire. Does Western Power offer any support?

If your power was out for more than 12 hours, you may be eligible for an outage payment from Western Power. Check the eligibility criteria and submit a claim via the Western Power website.

Community members with ongoing concerns about electricity supply, including damaged power poles on their property can contact Western Power on 13 13 51.


What do I do if I have fire damaged trees on my property?

Please contact the City on 9405 5000 to report fire damaged trees within 20 metres of a residential building or along a primary point of access (driveway) that you believe may pose an imminent risk to people.

The City will discuss the criteria for a City to inspect the tree. If your property is deemed to meet the criteria, arrangements will be made for the affected tree/trees to be inspected in the first instance.


What do I do if I see injured wildlife?

The Department of Biodiversity, Conversation and Attractions (DBCA) Parks and Wildlife Service runs the Wildcare Helpline, which provides a service for members of the public who find sick or injured native wildlife and are seeking advice on where to find care for the animal.

Advice on helping wildlife during bushfires is available on the DBCA website and you can call the Wildcare Helpline on 08 9474 9055.

The wildlife volunteers who answer your call will be able to put you in touch with your nearest registered wildlife rehabilitator, wherever you are in Western Australia.


I want to clear my bushfire affected land or clear my land to mitigate future fires. What steps do I need to take?

For any queries about the clearing of native vegetation, including whether any exemptions apply, please email the Department of Water and Environmental Regulation at info@dwer.wa.gov.au or call 6364 7098

A guide to the exemptions and regulations for clearing native vegetation is available at wa.gov.au.


I lost my passport in the fire. How do I get a letter to give the passport office to confirm this?

Please call the City on 08 9405 5000 and press 7 to be connected to a member of the Community Recovery team and request a letter for a lost passport. 

Alternatively, email a request for a letter for a lost passport to mariginiuprecovery@wanneroo.wa.gov.au.


How do I get a copy of the Mariginiup Fire incident report for insurance purposes?

Please send your request to the Department of Fire and Emergency Services via their website. DFES advise the approximate turnaround time is currently three weeks.


Back to top

Support services

How can I access emotional support?

Several services are available to provide counselling or emotional support.

Red Cross is offering outreach services at the Community Recovery Hub at Wanneroo Civic Centre (Banksia Room, Ground Floor) for those who have been impacted by the bushfires.

For more information about the range of support services available, visit www.emergency.wa.gov.au/recovery.


What financial support services are available?

People affected by the bushfires can access support services at the Community Recovery Centre at the City of Wanneroo Civic Centre (Banksia Room, Ground Floor), including the Department of Communities, Australian Red Cross, Emergency Services Western Australia, Legal Aid and assistance from the City of Wanneroo.

Those who need financial assistance are encouraged to:

  • visit the Recovery Centre to apply for assistance from the Lord Mayor’s Distress Relief Fund (one applicant per household).
  • Contact the Salvation Army who can assist individuals and families experiencing extreme hardship as a result of the recent bushfires.

Applications for a Premier’s Relief Payment are now closed.

For more information, visit wanneroo.wa.gov.au/bushfireinformation2023 or  www.emergency.wa.gov.au/recovery.


Back to top

Health and safety

My water supply was impacted by the bushfire. Who do I contact?

Residential and business customers who have been impacted by the Mariginiup bushfire have access to additional financial relief and additional support as part of a Water Corporation assistance package.

For details, visit the Water Corporation website or phone 13 13 85 (open Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm).


How can I get rid of the smoke that is still in my home?

When you know the air quality is safe, open doors and windows to aerate your home. Wash hard surfaces (furniture, walls and floors) and indoor surfaces with mild soap or detergent and water.

There could be range of reasons why smoke remains. If you have concerns, please contact the City’s Health Services team on 9405 5000.


Back to top

Waste Services

How do I order replacements for bins damaged in the fire?

Contact the City on 9405 5000 to arrange for them to be replaced free of charge.


I am staying with a host family. Can we have extra bins to deal with excess waste?

If you have been displaced from your home and are staying with a host family within the City of Wanneroo, we can provide temporary additional general waste and recycling bins free of charge. Additional bins will be removed when you have secured more permanent accommodation.

Call the City’s Waste Services team on 9405 5000 to request temporary additional bins.


How do I dispose of fire affected bulky household items and vegetation?

The City is currently working with local agencies and groups to determine the most effective way to assist with the collection and disposal of fire affected bulky household items and vegetation. We will be in contact with affected properties to discuss next steps soon.

You can contact the City to discuss your needs on 9405 5000.


How do I dispose of problematic waste items such as gas cylinders, batteries, e-waste and asbestos?

The City of Wanneroo’s waste collection trucks can’t collect items on the list below, however alternative disposal options are available to you:

We cannot collect

Disposal options

Flammable liquids and gas cylinders

Free disposal at Tamala Park. Maximum 20L or 20kg per day. Containers MUST be labelled and sealed, preferably with a tight-fitting lid.

Items from buildings containing asbestos may be contaminated. Please do not enter or remove items from these buildings

Paint, chemicals, oils, pesticides, etc

Batteries, e-waste and other hazardous items

Any liquids

The City does not manage liquid waste disposal outside the categories listed above. Septic, grease trap and other wastewater needs to be removed from your property by a licenced vehicle. The nearest dump point for caravans is Kingsway Tourist Park.

Agricultural waste

The City is currently working to arrange the safe dispose of agricultural and veterinarian chemicals.

Empty and clean drums can be taken to Tamala Park as part of the DRUMmuster program.

Asbestos containing products

Limited quantities (maximum 165kg) free for disposal at Tamala Park every Sunday. Further information at www.mrc.wa.gov.au/asbestos.aspx 


Back to top

Donating and volunteering

How can I donate to help people affected by the bushfire?

While the generosity of the community is very much appreciated, the City of Wanneroo cannot accept donations of money or goods.

If you would like to help, please consider donating to the Lord Mayor’s Distress Relief Fund. All funds collected by the appeal go directly to those impacted.


How can I offer my volunteer services to support the local community?

Community members who would like to volunteer can register with Emergency Support Volunteering, who will share your details with verified organisations in need of volunteers following an emergency.

Recovery can take weeks, months or even years, and volunteers play an important role in this.


Where can organisations find volunteers to help with clean-up and support through recovery?

Emergency Support Volunteering can help you recruit volunteers to help after an emergency.

To request volunteer support for your organisation, contact Jen Wyness at Volunteering WA on 08 9482 4333.

Visit Emergency Support Volunteering for more information, including frequently asked questions.


Back to top