What approvals do I need? - Shed (also referred to as an outbuilding)

Description An enclosed non-habitable structure that is detached from any dwelling, but not a garage.
Do I need approval?

planning approval will NOT be required if the Shed (Outbuilding) is compliant with the Residential Design Codes in the following zones:

  • Residential 
  • Mixed Use
  • Business
  • Commercial
  • Rural Community
  • Special Residential

In the following zones a planning approval is always required for a Shed (Outbuilding):

  • Rural Resource
  • General Rural
  • Special Rural  

Please note: A planning approval should be obtained prior to submitting for a building permit.

A building permit is required for outbuildings great than 10m². One outbuilding less than 10m² and under 2.4m in height is permitted without Council approval.

What do I need to submit?
  • Completed Development Application Form and checklist
  • Relevant fees (Refer to the Planning and Sustainability Fee Schedule, item number 1)
  • 1 x copy site plan – drawn to scale at not less than 1:200 (showing setbacks to the front, side and rear boundaries)
  • 1 x copy elevations – drawn to scale of 1:100 or 1:200 - showing the height to eaves and height to roof pitch (Engineering drawings DO NOT constitute an elevation)
  • 1 x copy statement outlining the proposed use of the shed



  • Completed Application for Building permit - BA2 form
  • Relevant fees
  • 2 x copies of a site plan. The site plan must be drawn at a minimum scale of 1:200, showing the distance the proposed outbuilding will be setback from the boundaries and any other structures on the property.
  • 2 x copies of the floor plan and elevations at a minimun scale of 1:100, showing all dimensions
  • 2 x copies of the construction details showing materials to be used, their respective sizes, spacing and spans, footing & flooring details
  • 2 x engineers details (required for all steel outbuildings with a pitched roof. It is however at the discretion of the Building Surveyor assessing the plans as to whether engineering details will be required for other outbuilding proposals)
  • Development approval
  • Notice and request for consent for encroachment or adversely affect (if required) - BA20 form


  • Completed Application for Building permit - BA1 form
  • Completed Certificate of Design Compliance
  • Relevant fees
  • 1 x copy of all technical documents noted on the Certificate of Design Compliance
  • Prior development approval (if required)
  • Notice and request for consent for encroachment or adversely affect (if required) - BA20 form
Related documents