Wood smoke information
When we breathe in wood smoke, a fraction of the smoke particles are retained in our lungs, impacting on our health. These fine particles are particularly dangerous to people who have existing respiratory problems as well as the very young and the elderly. Even if you are healthy you can still be negatively affected by wood smoke causing you to feel lethargic and generally unwell.
You can reduce the amount of smoke pollution from your chimney by:
- Keeping woodpiles under cover
- Never burning green, wet or treated firewood
- Checking your chimney for smoke
- Starting your fire with dry kindling and with the wood heater air control fully open and
- Keep the fire burning brightly.
Should you be experiencing nuisance smoke from a neighbouring property, you are requested to complete a Wood Smoke Log Sheet, available below. Once completed please return to the City:
City of Wanneroo
Locked Bag 1
Wanneroo WA 6946
If you need more information on wood smoke please contact the City's Health Services on 9405 5000.