; What approvals do I need? - Front fence - City of Wanneroo

What approvals do I need? - Front fence

Description A front fence is a wall, screen or barrier that abutts a street boundary or is located in the front setback area.
Do I need approval?

Planning Approval (also referred to as Development Approval) is required for a front fence on a residential property where the fence does not comply with the Residential Design Codes.

A Building Permit is required for a fence that is masonry and in excess of 750mm in height and/or any part of the fence is more than 500mm in height and will be used as a retaining wall.

A Building Permit is also required where the fence is constructed of a material other than masonry and the height exceeds 1.8m.

What do I need to submit?


Please refer to the City's DA Checklist - Residential Additions for a complete list of the information required to apply for planning approval.


Please refer to the City's Front Fence Information Sheet for a complete list of the information required to apply for a building permit.

If your structure has already been constructed without prior approvals and/or permits, please refer to our Unauthorised Works page which includes a separate application checklist.

Fees & Lodgement


Please refer to the below page for further information regarding application fees.

Planning and Building Application Fees


The City's preferred method for submitting Planning and Building applications is online. Please refer to the below links to lodge an application.

Online Planning Forms

Online Building Forms

Do not hesitate to contact the City on 9405 5000 if you have any queries prior to lodgement.