; What approvals do I need? - Retaining walls - City of Wanneroo

What approvals do I need? - Retaining walls

Description A retaining wall is a structure that retains soil when there is a change in ground levels.
Do I need approval?

Planning Approval (also referred to as Development Approval) is required for retaining walls in the Residential zone, where they do not comply with the Residential Design Codes.  Retaining walls proposed in any other zone, planning approval is required.  Should it be required, planning approval must be obtained prior to a building permit being issued.

A Building Permit is required for retaining walls where a proposed retaining wall exceeds 500mm in height, is an addition to an existing retaining wall and/or in the case of tiered walls, the walls exceed 500mm in total height.

What do I need to submit?


Please refer to the City's DA Checklist - Residential Additions for a complete list of the information required to apply for planning approval.


Please refer to the City's Retaining Walls Information Sheet for a complete list of the information required to apply for a building permit.

If your structure has already been constructed without prior approvals and/or permits, please refer to our Unauthorised Works page which includes a separate application checklist.

Fees & Lodgement


Please refer to the below page for further information regarding application fees.

Planning and Building Application Fees


The City's preferred method for submitting Planning and Building applications is online. Please refer to the below links to lodge an application.

Online Planning Forms

Online Building Forms

Do not hesitate to contact the City on 9405 5000 if you have any queries prior to lodgement.