; What approvals do I need? - Carports - City of Wanneroo

What approvals do I need? - Carports

Description A carport is a roofed structure designed to accommodate one or more motor vehicles unenclosed except to the extent that it abuts a dwelling or a property boundary on one side, and being without a door unless the door is visually permeable.
Do I need approval?

Planning Approval (also referred to as Development Approval) may be required for a carport. Should it be required, planning approval must be obtained prior to a building permit being issued.

A Building Permit is required for a carport.

What do I need to submit?


Please refer to the City's DA Checklist - Residential Additions for a complete list of the information required to apply for planning approval.


Please refer to the City's Carport Information Sheet for a complete list of the information required to apply for a building permit.

If your structure has already been constructed without prior approvals and/or permits, please refer to our Unauthorised Works page which includes a separate application checklist.

Fees & Lodgement


Please refer to the below page for further information regarding application fees.

Planning and Building Application Fees


The City's preferred method for submitting Planning and Building applications is online. Please refer to the below links to lodge an application.

Online Planning Forms

Online Building Forms

Do not hesitate to contact the City on 9405 5000 if you have any queries prior to lodgement.