Events on 26th Feb 2021
Events for 26th Feb 2021
Showing 1 to 1 of 1 events.
For Country, for Nation
- Date: 17th February 2021 - 27th March 2021
- Every week
- Location: Wanneroo Gallery, Wanneroo Library and Cultural Centre, 3 Rocca Way, Wanneroo
- Cost: FREE
A touring exhibition highlighting the long-standing tradition that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples have of serving with our military forces.
- Wednesday - Friday // 10:00am to 4:00pm
- Saturday // 10:00am to 1:00pm
- Closed Sunday and public holidays
For Country, for Nation is an Australian War Memorial Touring Exhibition.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples have a long-standing tradition of fighting for Country, and continue to serve with honour among our military forces. They have also worked in ancillary, industry, and other home-front activities, and their communities have been thrust into the front line of theatres of war.
Image: Tony Albert, Coloured Diggers, acrylic on canvas, painted in Sydney, 2013, ART96531.001-004, Image courtesy of the Australian War Memorial
The touring exhibition For Country, for Nation highlights these stories and explores themes of remembrance and tradition through family histories, objects, art, and photographs from across Australia, drawing inspiration from cultural traditions and symbols of warrior’s discipline, knowledge, leadership, and skill.
For Country, for Nation is thematic in structure. Within each theme are stories of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander experience during wartime and peace.
Tours, talks and community bookings
Visit fcfn.eventbrite.com.au for details on For Country, for Nation tours and talks.
- Tour format: Self-guided (with a short introduction and orientation from gallery staff)
- Cost: Free
For a specialised tour or large group bookings, contact email@example.com
Education and school bookings
A rare opportunity for your primary and secondary students to experience the nationally significant exhibition, For Country, for Nation. Examine the themes of wartime history and Australian society at the home front over time from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander perspectives.
- Tour format: Self-guided (with a short introduction and orientation from gallery staff). Reflection activities will be available for students while viewing the exhibition.
- Cost: Free
- Pre and post-visit education resources: The Australian War Memorial has a range of resources for teachers to use in the classroom, including case studies, inquiry questions, film and sound, and art. Visit their website at awm.gov.au
For Country, for Nation will be open on Tuesdays exclusively for school bookings in Term 1, 2021. Register your interest by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
Image: A young Reg Saunders surrounded by his mates of the 2/7th Battalion, AIF, in Queensland in 1943; 057894, Image courtesy of the Australian War Memorial
Explore Heritage and Arts
The City of Wanneroo also presenting the Explore Heritage and Arts series, where you can experience creativity, imagination and cultural heritage on both a local and national scale. For further information click below: