; Elections Frequently Asked Questions - Local Government Elections 2021 - City of Wanneroo

Local Government Elections 2021

Elections Frequently Asked Questions

When is the next Local Government Election?

Local Government Elections are held every two years on the third Saturday in October. The next City of Wanneroo (the City) Local Government Election will be held on Saturday, 16 October 2021. The Mayor is elected every four years for a four year term. There are 14 Councillor positions. Half are elected every two years to serve a term of four years. The October 2021 elections will be for seven Councillor positions.

Candidates in the October 2021 Election

Which of the current Council Member’s terms will expire in 2021?

The terms of the below council members will expire in 2021. They are eligible for re-election:

  • Linda Aitken JP
  • Sonet Coetzee
  • Lewis Flood
  • Dot Newton JP
  • Hugh Nguyen
  • Paul Miles
  • Domenic Zappa


When do nominations for candidates open and close?

  • Open - Thursday 2 September 2021
  • Close - Thursday 9 September 2021 at 4pm


Who can be a candidate?

Anyone who is on the City’s Electoral Roll as a resident, or a non-resident owner or occupier of rateable property within the City (and is not disqualified) can be a candidate. Nominees of a body corporate cannot stand for election to Council.



Who is entitled to vote?

The roll for this election consists of:

  1. The Residents Roll - Individuals who live in the City of Wanneroo and who are enrolled on the State Electoral Roll.
  2. Non-Resident Owner and Occupiers Roll - Non-residents owners or occupiers of rateable property in the City. Eligibility conditions apply.


What is the Residents Roll?

Those residents who live in the City that are enrolled on the State Electoral Roll are automatically enrolled on the Residents’ Roll for local government elections. No separate enrolment for the City is required.


What is the Non-Residents Owner and Occupiers Roll?

The owner and occupier roll is an electoral roll for local government elections where people who own or occupy property within a local government ward and are enrolled to vote at another address in a different ward, can apply to the City to be included on the roll as an owner / occupier. All eligible electors are able to vote once in any ward for which they are enrolled.

It also allows non-resident co-owners and occupiers, a body corporate or company to apply to nominate up to two eligible electors to be included on the owner and occupier roll.


What is a Non-Resident Owner?

A non-resident owner is a person who owns rateable land within the City but is not a resident. A non-resident owner must be enrolled on the State or Commonwealth Electoral Roll for the area where they live. An individual may only enrol once regardless of the number of properties owned / occupied in the same ward. Each rateable property may claim up to two owners on the roll.


What is a Non-Resident Occupier?

A non-resident occupier is a person, living outside of the City of Wanneroo where the election is being held, who leases or occupies rateable property within the City. A non-resident occupier must be enrolled on the State or Commonwealth Electoral Roll for the area where they live and have a right of continuous occupation of that property for at least three months from the date of application.


A few of us own or occupy a property. What can we do?

Where the property is owned or occupied by more than two people, a majority of the owners and occupiers may nominate two persons amongst themselves, to be enrolled to vote.


What if I have a business?

A body corporate, which owns or occupies rateable property, may nominate two persons to vote on their behalf. The nominees must be on either the State or Commonwealth electoral rolls. If the body corporate owns properties in more than one ward the same nominees can apply for all wards. The application form is to be signed by an officer of the body corporate. Only two people can be nominated regardless of the number of properties owned or occupied in the City.


Are people who do not live in the City of Wanneroo able to vote?

YES. People who own or occupy property in the City, but are not residents as they are enrolled under the State or Commonwealth Electoral Roll in a different local government area, are able to enrol to vote.


When is the last day I can enrol to vote?

People who live in the City are automatically enrolled if they are on the State Electoral Roll. They must be enrolled on this roll by 5pm, Friday 27 August 2021. Contact the Western Australian Electoral Commission on 13 63 06 (WA only) or (08) 9214 0400 with any enquires.

Owner or Occupier 
Applications will close at 5pm, Friday 27 August 2021. The City of Wanneroo will notify all applicants for this roll of the outcome of their application by 5pm, 6 September 2021.


How many votes can I have?

You may only have your name on the roll once for each ward no matter how many properties you own or occupy.  A business may have a maximum of two people on the roll as nominees of that company regardless of the number of properties owned or occupied in the City.


Where can I get an enrolment form?

Forms are available from the City of Wanneroo website. Alternatively please email: elections@wanneroo.wa.gov.au or phone Council & Corporate Support on 9405 5000.


The Elections

Who conducts the elections?

The Western Australian Electoral Commission (WAEC) conducts the election on behalf of the City. Election Packages containing information on the candidates, instructions on how to vote, the ballot paper, and the return envelopes, are posted to electors about three weeks before the Election Day.


Is voting compulsory?

No, voting in local government elections is not compulsory in Western Australia.


Is early or absent voting available?

No. These forms of voting are not available for postal elections. If you are going to be away at election time you can get someone to forward you the voting package.


When are ballot papers due to be returned?

All ballot papers can be completed anytime and returned by 6pm, Saturday 16 October 2021 at the latest to be included in the count for the election.


What if I don’t receive a postal voting package?

Election packages are posted approximately three weeks before Election Day. A replacement package can be issued if it has been lost or destroyed. Contact – 9405 5000 or email: elections@wanneroo.wa.gov.au


Further information

Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries

WA Electoral Commission