; Noise information - City of Wanneroo

IT Outage

A major IT outage is impacting businesses around Australia. City systems are currently operating however you may experience disruptions when accessing services.


Noise information

Most of us have been disturbed by noise on occasion and may even have been responsible for causing noise which affects our neighbours. With the current trend towards smaller block sizes the probability of producing noise that may affect others has increased.

When is noise unreasonable?

The Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997 (the Regulations) set different permitted levels depending on the time of day. The legislation does however also create a number of exemptions for certain activities if they are done in accordance with set conditions. Noise which is emitted in excess of the permitted levels or not in accordance with an exemption is deemed to be unreasonable. As a guide, noise which is clearly audible at a residential boundary may exceed the permitted level.

Equipment used on residential premises – specified equipment

Specified equipment is any equipment that requires the constant presence of an operator for normal use. It can include many common household items such as lawn mowers and other gardening tools, power tools, some sporting equipment and musical instruments. Noise from specified equipment typically exceeds the assigned noise levels set out in the regulations. The specified equipment must be used in a reasonable manner and the noise emitted must not unreasonably interfere with the health, welfare, convenience, comfort or amenity of an occupier of premises receiving the noise. Determining whether or not a noise is unreasonable is at the discretion of the Environmental Health Officer. The assigned levels do not apply if the following is applied:

Power tools and noisy equipment

Power tools and other noisy equipment are not to be used for more than 2 hours per day between the hours of 7.00am and 7.00pm, Monday to Saturday; or between 9.00am and 7.00pm on Sunday or Public Holidays.

Please note that specific equipment or activities usually associated with a commercial operation are not deemed as reasonable use at a residential property and would need to comply with the noise limits at all times.

Noisy sporting equipment

Residents are unable to use noisy sporting equipment for more than 2 hours per day between 7.00am and 7.00pm - Monday to Saturday; or between 9.00am and 7.00pm on Sunday and Public Holidays.

Please consider your neighbours when deciding where to place sports equipment such as basketball hoops as these can conflict with noise regulations. Please locate freestanding basketball hoops away from garage doors and fencing to prevent excess noise.  

Musical Instruments

Musical instruments are to be used for an hour per day between 7.00am and 7.00pm – Monday to Saturday and between 9.00am and 7.00pm on Sunday and public holidays

Construction site noise

Work that creates noise on a construction site is permitted between 7am to 7pm Monday to Saturday. Work on Sundays, Public Holidays and at other times is only permitted under an approved noise management plan. It should be noted that work which does not create noise is permitted outside these times as are other activities such as workers arriving at site and unloading material or tools provided they are not creating noise.

Tips when undertaking construction work:

  • Use tools out of direct sight to neighbours windows and doors, such as behind barriers.
  • Avoid using tools early in the morning and late in the evening
  • Ensure tools are properly maintained and most suited to the task at hand.
  • If using a piece of equipment repeatedly, try to plan the activity to use equipment in block periods. eg if using a saw to cut timber, measure a number of bits of timber and cut them all at the same time rather than measuring and cutting each piece separately.
  • If undertaking renovations, inform neighbours of likely timeframe of construction work.

Tips when dealing with noise from construction sites:

  • Speak to the builders on the construction site to make them aware of your concerns.
  • Contact the building company who is responsible for the construction. Often workers are sub contractors and the site manager may not be aware of any issues.
  • Be patient. Remember construction work is of a temporary nature and so the noise nuisance will cease eventually.
  • Remember you may wish to undertake construction work at some point and the situation will then be reversed.
  • Should the annoyance caused by construction site noise continue, you may lodge a written complaint to the City’s Health Services.

Out of hour construction noise application

Click below to download the form used to obtain approval of a noise management plan in order to undertake out of hours construction work.

Out of Hours Construction Noise Application for Approval of a Noise Management Plan

Air conditioner noise

The location of the air conditioner is an important factor in ensuring neighbours are not adversely affected by noise. Air conditioners should be located as far away as possible from neighbours bedrooms and outdoor recreation areas. When purchasing a new air conditioner quieter models should be selected over noisier units. A guide for estimating potential noise levels from air conditioners is available below:

Air conditioner installation guide

Noisy vehicles on private property

If an off road vehicle is used for farming purposes, it is exempt from the noise limits set out in the regulations when it is used between sunrise to sunset, used in a practicable and reasonable manner and the vehicle is in a good working condition.

Off-road vehicles used for recreational purposes are not exempt and must comply with the noise limits set out under the Regulations.

Party noise

Music noise emitted from a party will generally exceed the permitted noise levels. Neighbours will in most cases tolerate ‘one off parties’ particularly if they have been advised of the following in advance;

  1. The date of the party (neighbours may wish to make alternative arrangements and go out).
  2. The time the music will be switched off or turned down (this indicates how long the situation has to be tolerated and when it will improve).
  3. A phone number of party organiser to ring if the situation becomes unbearable.

Even if the above guidelines are followed neighbours can still lodge a noise complaint with the police and/or the City. Some people mistakenly believe music at parties can be played until midnight. This is not the case as no such exemption exists under the regulations, although some people may be accepting of this situation particularly on Friday or Saturday nights.

It is also recommended the use of outdoor speakers be minimised, speakers be directed away from neighbours houses, keep bass component of music low, move the party indoors if it goes late into the night and keep windows and doors closed.

For one-off situations, particularly after hours, the police are the best people to call. The police have similar powers to the City with regard to noise enforcement.

Intruder alarms

Intruder alarms are a useful security device but can create a significant nuisance to neighbours if they are operated incorrectly, continually being triggered or are faulty. Ideally they should sound for only 5 to 10 minutes before shutting off. If a Police officer is satisfied that the alarm has been causing unreasonable noise for at least 30 minutes, he or she may take whatever reasonable steps are necessary to stop the alarm. In these situations the Police will normally call out an alarm technician, working for a security company, who will disconnect the alarm at the owner’s expense.

The City is not authorised to disconnect an alarm.

Barking dogs

If you have problems with noise from barking dogs please visit the City's Barking dogs webpage for further information.

People noise

Noise from people yelling or screaming is best described as antisocial behaviour. As such it is something that is best handled by the Police and not something which the City has control over.

Similarly issues of an abusive, threatening or intimidation nature are a Police matter. Therefore if the noise is in relation to any of these matters you are encouraged to contact the Police directly.

Noise from pumps

Noise from pumps including pool pumps, can disturb your neighbours. The noise can disrupt their sleep, interfere with normal daily activities and, if loud enough, it can also affect their health. This information sheet can help you to reduce noise from pumps and meet legal requirements.

Further information on noise from pumps

Be a good neighbour

Take the time to talk to neighbours. Find out what concerns they may have before installing equipment and seek suggestions about solving any noise problems. Solutions can often be found that satisfy everyone. 

The law

Western Australia’s Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997 includes noise limits for pumps. Pumps include electrical, mechanical or pneumatic pumps, swimming pool pumps and spa blowers. The City is legally required to enforce the noise limits. If issues between neighbours cannot be resolved and further complaints are made, Council will investigate and take the required action.

Ways to reduce noise

To help reduce noise from your pump, you can: 

  • Limit the hours of use
    Depending on the pump’s use, consider a timer to ensure it operates at appropriate times. If it is a swimming pool pump, know how long the pool filter needs to run for acceptable water quality. In most cases, this is only necessary to allow pool water to turn over once or twice a day. For an average pool, run the pump for three to six hours per day. Talk to the local pool shop or pool pump manufacturer for information. 
  • Select a quieter pump
    Replacing the pump with a quieter or appropriately-sized model may help solve the problem. Pumps get noisier as they age.
  • Choose the location of the pump carefully
    Locate the pump as far away as possible from neighbours and away from sensitive areas, such as bedroom windows. When installing a pump, ask the installer for advice.
  • Undertake regular maintenance
    Regular maintenance of the pump will ensure the effectiveness of and assist in reducing the noise from the pump. Contact the manufacturer or installer for advice. 
  • Install fences or barriers
    Consider installing a solid fence without gaps between the pump and your neighbour, this can help reduce noise levels. Install an acoustic enclosure. Consider enclosing the pump unit in a ventilated ‘box’ with an absorbent lining. Or install the pump in a shed. Contact the manufacturer or installer for advice. 


Noise from vehicles

Noise from a licenced vehicle’s propulsion or braking system is generally exempt from the noise regulations. Therefore despite situations such as loud motorbike exhausts, V8 engines or use of air brakes being noisy there is little the City can do. Noise from burnouts should be reported to the Police under the anti hoon legislation.

What to do if you have a noise problem

If a neighbour is creating noise you should try discussing the situation with them. If the situation does not change or you feel uncomfortable approaching your neighbour, you may lodge a complaint with the City and you will need to fill out the City’s Noise Complaint Form.

Noise complaint form

A record of noise history for 2 weeks is required as it helps the City assess the situation and determine whether it is likely to be an offence. It also helps demonstrate to any offender that the City is fully aware of the situation. For one off situations particularly after hours it is best to call the Police. The Police have similar powers to the City with regards to noise enforcement.

Lodging your complaint:

In Person: City of Wanneroo Administration Centre, 23 Dundebar Road, Wanneroo
By Mail: Locked Bag 1, Wanneroo WA 6946
By Fax: 9405 5499
By Email: health@wanneroo.wa.gov.au
To the Police: 131 444

Complaint investigation

Where the City receives a noise complaint, we will contact the alleged offender, inform them of the situation and requirements under the legislation. Usually this is sufficient to resolve most situations as quite often the offender was not aware they were creating a problem or were not aware of the legislation.

The complainant will also be contacted and asked to provide a log sheet to record noise history for two weeks. This will help us assess the situation and determine whether it is likely to be an offence. It also helps demonstrate to any alleged offender that we are fully aware of the situation.

After receiving the completed log sheets an Environmental Health Officer may need to take further action and take sound level measurements. Under the Regulations these are required to be taken from the property receiving the noise and not the property generating the noise.

Enforcement options

If the noise is found to be excessive, further action will be taken which in some cases can include but is not limited to issuing an infringement ($250 for first offence and $500 for each subsequent offence), seizing the offending equipment or undertaking legal action. It should also be noted that the owner of a rental property can also be held responsible for offences created by their tenants.

Further information

Additional information, including complaint forms and information sheets may be found on the following websites;

WA Policewww.police.wa.gov.au

Should you have any queries regarding any of the above, please do not hesitate to contact the City of Wanneroo’s Health Services on 9405 5000.