COVID-19 pandemic information and updates
The City of Wanneroo has launched a dedicated webpage where all the latest information about our facilities, services and events can be found as the COVID-19 situation unfolds. Click here to find out more
Cheriton Drive and Joondalup Drive roundabout works
Published Monday, 17th February 2020
Once complete, the new roundabout will provide local residents and patrons of the shopping centre and community facilities with safer, more efficient access to and from Cheriton Drive.
PLEASE NOTE THIS INFORMATION IS PROVIDED BY MAINROADS WA
Before construction on the intersection begins, works will be undertaken to locate underground services, install fencing and barriers and set up traffic diversions. Single lane closures will be in place to allow for this work to be undertaken. These works will take approximately three weeks of day, night and weekend work.
Stage 1 construction works
During the first stage of construction, works will be undertaken on the north side of Joondalup Drive and on Cheriton Drive in the area indicated on the map below. This area of construction will start at Houghton Drive through to approximately 100m east of The Duke.
These works will include:
- Clearing and vegetation removal
- New drainage and underground services installation
- Earthworks, including pavement construction and resurfacing
- Kerbing, footpaths and landscaping
- Lighting, signs and line marking
What to expect
- Two lanes will remain open heading west along Joondalup Drive
- Joondalup Drive eastbound will be reduced to one lane.
- The speed limit through the area will be reduced to 40km/h.
- Traffic heading west along Joondalup Drive will be able to turn right into Cheriton Drive.
- Traffic heading east along Joondalup Drive will be able to turn left into Rawlinna Close, but NOT Cheriton Drive.
- Traffic will not be able to exit Cheriton Drive onto Joondalup Drive. Vehicles will be able to egress via Houghton Drive or Keanefield Drive. (See map above)
- Pedestrians and cyclists will still have access through the intersection via detoured paths. (See map below)
- The bus stop in the front of Carramar Shopping Centre will be temporarily closed.
Stage 2 works
Some out of hours works will be required to ensure the intersection is completed in a short timeframe with minimal impact on the community. Out of hours works may be undertaken during the following times:
- Sundays 23 February, 1 March and 8 March 2020 // 8am to 5pm
- Monday 2 March 2020, 8am to 5pm
- Monday 10 February to Saturday 14 March 2020, 7pm to 7am
Out of hours works at the Wanneroo Road and Joondalup Drive intersection may also be undertaken during February and March 2020 as per the hours above. These works will include installing concrete reinforced ‘L’ walls along the ramps, backfilling of the ramps, installing the remaining MSE panels and barrier installation on the deck.
How long will the Cheriton Drive and Joondalup Drive works take?
Stage one works should take up to three months to complete.
The roundabout should be open mid-2020.
Other intersection works
The pre-works have started on Burns Beach Road roundabout, with pre-works on Clarkson Ave / Wanneroo Road due to start this month. More information about these works will be distributed in the coming weeks.
More articles in the news archive.