City of Wanneroo Annual Report 2019/20
Published Wednesday, 3rd March 2021
The City of Wanneroo 2019/2020 Annual Report was presented to the Electors’ Annual General Meeting on Tuesday, 2 March 2021.
The report is a snapshot of the City’s activities over the 12 months from 1 July 2019 to 30 June 2020, and details progress made on projects and actions in the four year Corporate Business Plan 2019/20 – 2022/23.
The report demonstrated the City was in a sound financial position, despite a year that challenged the City and the community like never before.
Elected members and City staff prioritised the delivery of vital community services to support residents and ratepayers, despite an increase in expenses and a decrease in income from fees and charges due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
A continued focus on community benefits for residents saw the City invest more than $78.3m in capital expenditure for key projects including transport infrastructure and roads, recreation facilities, public health and community safety initiatives.
Significant City achievements for 2019/20 included:
- An investment of more than $78.3m in capital expenditure on key community infrastructure and facilities including:
- Nearly $38m for roads, pathways, street lighting and landscaping.
- $2.2m in roadworks (including a total of 18km of 43 roads that were improved as part of the City’s road resurfacing program) to improve travel and transport infrastructure in the City.
- $20M in community sports facilities to help our residents maintain active, healthy lifestyles.
- $1.3M in community facilities to provide community groups with areas to meet.
Additional FY2019/20 initiatives:
- The introduction of the City’s Community Response and Recovery Fund to help local groups and sporting clubs recover from the financial impacts of COVID-19.
- Implementing a range of business support and advisory measures to help the local business community navigate challenges presented by COVID-19.
- Strengthening the City’s commitment to local actions to combat climate change by signing the WALGA Climate Change Declaration.
- Achieving Gold Waterwise accreditation after meeting water usage targets for a sustainable future.
- Enhancing environmental management through the Waterwise Council Action Plan and new local policies for the management of fauna, wetlands, caves and karstic features.
- Adopting a new Transport Strategy to improve public transport and encourage participation in active transport to reduce private vehicle usage.
- Endorsing a three bin kerbside collection system to divert a greater amount of waste materials away from landfill and further protect our natural environment.
- Stimulating the local economy through the Support Wanneroo Local Campaign.
- Starting a major review of the City’s ten-year Strategic Community Plan, which details the City’s vision and aspirations for the next decade and sets out the key strategies and actions required to achieve them.
- Winning several awards, including the Planning Institute of Australia (WA) ‘Public Engagement and Community Planning’ award for the Yanchep Lagoon Masterplan Project.
For an abridged version of the City’s Annual Report 2019/20 featuring highlights from the full publication, click here.
More articles in the news archive.