COVID-19 recovery information and updates
The City of Wanneroo is reopening a number of community services and facilities in line with Phase 4 of the State Government's COVID-19 Roadmap to Recovery. Click here to find out more
DATE CONFIRMED: Wanneroo Road & Joondalup Drive Interchange - Intersection closure
Published Tuesday, 9th July 2019
Wanneroo Road and Joondalup Drive intersection will be closed 12-15 July 2019 for construction works.
PLEASE NOTE THIS INFORMATION IS PROVIDED BY MAINROADS WA
Due to unfavourable weather conditions, we have had to delay the intersection closure works on a number of occasions. However, we are now ready to begin the next stage of the bridge construction.
The Wanneroo Road and Joondalup Drive intersection will be closed this weekend 8pm Friday 12 July to 5am Monday 15 July 2019 to allow work crews to safely relocate all barriers and replace the existing traffic signals with a temporary roundabout configuration.
Detours will be in place to direct traffic around the intersection
What to expect
- Pedestrians and cyclists will still have access through the intersection via the current detoured paths.
- Works will be undertaken 24/7 - starting 8pm Friday finishing Monday 5am.
- The right hand turn in/out of St Stephens Crescent and Joondalup Drive will be permanently closed.
- Right turn access between Drovers Place and Joondalup Drive will be permanently closed early Monday morning.
- Bus routes 390T, 390F, 391T, 391F, 467T, 468T will detour around the closed intersection.
- More information on bus detours is available by visiting https://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/ or https://project.mainroads.wa.gov.au/home/.
Out of Hours work
Some out of hours works will be required to undertake the closure works as well as prepare for the next stage of works. Out of hours works may be undertaken during the following times:
- 8am to 5pm - Sundays 21 and 28 July.
- 7pm Friday 12 July to 7am Monday 15 July 2019.
- 7pm to 7am – Monday 15 July 2019 to Saturday 20 July 2019.
- 7pm to 7am – Monday 22 July 2019 to Saturday 27 July 2019.
Stage 2 works
Stage 2 works will start following the reopening of the Wanneroo Road and Joondalup Drive intersection on Monday 15 July 2019.
The traffic lights will have been removed and vehicles will be using a temporary roundabout. Vehicles will also be pushed to the outside of Joondalup Drive while works are undertaken in the middle of the road.
Temporary signal control will initially be set up on Wanneroo Road heading north near Drovers to assist with afternoon peak hours. The use and duration of the signals will be monitored and altered as required.
Stage 2 will focus on building the new bridge and associated works at the intersection including:
- Bridge and ramp construction.
- Ramps will be built in the middle of Joondalup Drive 200m long on the west side of the intersection and 90m long on the east side.
- Bridge beams, piers and noise wall installation.
- New pavements and asphalt.
What to expect
- A change in traffic conditions, including a new temporary roundabout at the Wanneroo Road and Joondalup Drive intersection instead of traffic lights.
- Temporary signal control along Wanneroo Road to assist with afternoon peak traffic.
- The right turn access between Drovers Place and Joondalup Drive will be permanently closed.
- Current detours for cyclists and pedestrians through the area will remain unchanged.
- Bus stops will remain in the same locations as they are at present.
- People will be working in the middle of Joondalup Drive.
- Maximum speed limits will be reduced in some areas.
- Barriers will remain in place until March 2020.
More articles in the news archive.