Wangara Greens Recycling Facility
PLEASE NOTE: Wangara Greens Recycling Facility will be closed this weekend (Saturday 14 and Sunday 15 December)due to total fire bans in place.
The Weekend Greens Recycling Facility in Wangara accepts clean green waste from the public and creates mulch for resale. 100% of the Green Waste is recovered, with no residual waste going to landfill.
Note - Commercial contractors and residents
Commercial organisations accessing the Wangara Greens Recycling Facility to dispose of green waste using residents tipping vouchers will no longer be accepted, unless:
They attend the site with a letter from the resident advising the staff at Wangara Greens Recycling Centre that they are disposing of the green waste on behalf of the resident. The letter must clearly detail:
- The residents name and address
- It must have the residents Rates Assessment Number (this can be found on the rates notice) and
- It must be signed by the resident.
Unless the letter features all of the above, the Contractor will need to pay the relevant gate fee or be turned away.
Scrap metal and bulk polystyrene recycling trial
The City of Wanneroo is making it easier for residents to recycle their waste. The Wangara Greens Recycling Facility now accepts scrap metal for recycling. Residents can drop off one 6x4 trailer load of the following accepted items, for free:
- Steel/aluminium cans
- Fence/roof sheeting
- Car rims (without tyres)
- Old hot water systems
- Domestic pots and pans
- Steel / aluminium furniture
- White goods (except fridges)
- Steel pipes
- Gas bottles
- Fire extinguishers
From August 2019, bulk polystyrene packaging is also being trialled at the Wangara Greens Recycling Facility.
Polystyrene is identifiable by the lettering EPS, PS or the plastic identification code 6. It is inflexible, and will crack when you try to bend it.
- Bulky white expanded polystyrene packaging (coded EPS, PS or code 6), such as those used when packaging appliances or in packing boxes. Please remove tape, plastic and other contaminants, and ensure the material is clean and dry.
- Take away containers
- Meat trays
- Coffee cups
- Beanbag beads
- Construction insulation
- Polyethylene foam
- Packing peanuts/popcorn
- Pool noodles
- Any other type of expanded plastic
These items must be disposed of via your domestic waste bin.
The Wangara Greens Recycling Facility scrap metal and polystyrene recycling program is a trial to gauge community interest in drop-off facilities.
Address: 70 Motivation Drive, Wangara
Opening Hours: 8.00am - 4.45pm weekends & public holidays.
Closed: Weekdays, Good Friday, Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
Access to the site is free with a valid 'Greenwaste Tipping Voucher'. Four Greenwaste Tipping Vouchers are included with the annual Rates notice. Tenants can contact their landlord or property manager to obtain their vouchers. Each voucher allows the disposal of a standard 6x4 trailer-load of clean greens at no charge
Entry fees apply without a valid voucher:
- $20 for a car
- $34.50 for a ute
- $34.50 for a car and trailer up to half a tonne
- Trucks $90 per tonne
Correct cash payment is required as there are no EFTPOS facilities on the site.
Note: Any contaminated loads will be refused entry upon inspection and entry to the site
- Clean greenwaste only (tree loppings, garden prunings, lawn clippings)
- No boxes or bags of waste (Boxes or bags of green waste must be emptied and removed from site)
- Containers must be emptied and removed from the site
- No sand, soil, rocks, building materials, bricks or turf
- No processed timber, sleepers, bamboo screens
- Branches no longer that 1.5 metres
- No large tree stumps (guideline is that a stump must be lifted by two people to shoulder height)
Purchase of Mulch
Mulching your garden lowers evaporation and water requirements, aids water dispersal and can help to reduce weeds. Two free mulch vouchers are included with the annual rates notice.
Purchase of mulch without a valid mulch voucher - $31.50 per cubic metre
Note: All trailer loads must be tarped when travelling.
Recycling collection point
Residents can drop off the following, free of charge, on weekends and public holidays ONLY
- Batteries (household and car)
- CFL globes
- Bulk cardboard
- Used motor oil
- Mobile phones
- Printer ink cartridges