; How are rates calculated? - Rates information - City of Wanneroo

COVID-19 recovery information and updates

The City of Wanneroo is reopening a number of community services and facilities in line with Phase 4 of the State Government's COVID-19 Roadmap to Recovery. Click here to find out more


Rates information

How are rates calculated?

Rates are calculated by multiplying a property's Gross Rental Value (GRV) or Unimproved Value (UV) by the rate in the dollar set by Council, subject to minimum rates.

Gross Rental Value (GRV)

Gross Rental Value (GRV) is the fair rental value of your property as determined by the Valuer General's Office and is an estimate of how much you could expect to receive if you were to rent your property. 

Properties used for non-rural purposes e.g. urban residential, commercial etc are valued using the GRV method above.

Unimproved Value (UV)

Unimproved Value (UV) is the fair market value of your property as determined by the Valuer General's Office and does not take into account any improvements on the land such as dwellings or outbuildings. Land used for rural purposes is valued using the UV method.

Can I object to my property's valuation?

If you feel that the valuation applied to your property is incorrect, you can lodge an objection with the Valuer General's Office within 60 days of the issue of your Rates Notice. 

For further information please contact the Valuer General's Office on 9273 7373.

Emergency Services Levy (ESL)

Local Government is collecting the ESL on behalf of the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES) by including it on local government rates notices.

Fees collected will be remitted to DFES.

Further information on the ESL can be obtained by contacting the DFES Hotline on 1300 136 099 or visiting the Department of Fire and Emergency Services website.

Waste Service information

Waste service charges for 2019/20 remain unchanged and waste fee rebates for eligible pensioners also remain unchanged.