- Households in residential areas are limited to two dogs.
- Households on a rural property are limited to six dogs (the rural property must be over 4 hectares for up to 6 dogs to be authorised by Council).
- Households can apply for permission to keep more than two dogs by completing the keeping more than two dogs application form outlining the reasons why they wish to keep more than the required number of dogs.
- A fee of $150.00 applies to the application. The fee is non-refundable should the application be declined.
- From 01 November 2013, dogs must be microchipped when they are registered for the first time or when a change of ownership occurs.
- By 30 November 2013 all dangerous dogs, which includes restricted breeds, and commercial security dogs, must be microchipped.
- By 01 November 2015, all dogs must be microchipped.
Dog sterilisation subsidy
- If you have recently adopted a dog from the City of Wanneroo Animal Care Centre and had it sterilised within three months of that date, you may be eligible for a sterilisation subsidy. Contact our Rangers on 9405 5000 to determine your eligibility.
Upon production of a Pensioner Concession Card, pensioners may register their dogs for half the usual fee.
As an owner, you have a number of responsibilities as outlined by the Dog Act 1976, which states owners must ensure their dog:
- Wears a collar displaying the owner’s name, address and Council registration tag attached when in public places.
- Can be confined to the premises where it lives.
- Is held by a competent person capable of controlling a dog on a maximum two metre lead when in public places.
- In designated areas, dogs may be exercised off a leash, but the person in control of the dog must carry a leash in case it is required.
- Is registered in one person’s name who is over the age of 18 years.
Dogs may be exercised on most City of Wanneroo reserves, with the exceptions being:
- Frederick J Stubbs Grove, Quinns Rocks
- Beach Reserves, except designated areas
- Wanneroo Showgrounds, Wanneroo
Kingsway Sporting Complex (dogs may be exercised on a leash only but are prohibited on the netball courts)
Dog beach locations
- Part of Quinns Rocks Beach, Quinns Rocks - north from Tapping Way
- Part of Yanchep Beach, Yanchep - south from Nautical Court
- Part of Two Rocks Beach, Two Rocks - south of the southern groyne