- Households in residential areas are limited to two dogs.
- Households on a rural property are limited to six dogs (the rural property must be over 4 hectares for up to 6 dogs to be authorised by Council).
- Households can apply for permission to keep more than two dogs by sending a letter to the City of Wanneroo outlining the reasons why they wish to keep more than the required number of dogs. A fee of $150.00 applies to the application. The fee is non refundable should the application be rejected.
- From 01 November 2013, dogs must be microchipped when they are registered for the first time or when a change of ownership occurs.
- By 30 November 2013 all dangerous dogs, which includes restricted breeds, and commercial security dogs, must be microchipped.
- By 01 November 2015, all dogs must be microchipped.
Dog sterilisation subsidy
- If you have recently collected a dog from the City of Wanneroo Animal Care Centre and had it sterilised within three months of that date, you may be eligible for a sterilisation subsidy. Contact our Rangers on 9405 5000 to determine your eligibility.
Upon production of a Pensioner Concession Card, pensioners may register their dogs for half the usual fee.
As an owner, you have a number of responsibilities as outlined by the Dog Act 1976, which states owners must ensure their dog:
- Wears a collar displaying the owner’s name, address and Council registration tag attached when in public places.
- Can be confined to the premises where it lives.
- Is held by a competent person capable of controlling a dog on a maximum two metre lead when in public places.
- In designated areas, dogs may be exercised off a leash, but the person in control of the dog must carry a leash in case it is required.
- Is registered in one person’s name who is over the age of 18 years.
Dogs may be exercised on most City of Wanneroo reserves, with the exceptions being:
- Frederick J Stubbs Grove, Quinns Rocks
- Beach Reserves, except designated areas
- Wanneroo Showgrounds, Wanneroo
Kingsway Sporting Complex (dogs may be exercised on a leash only but are prohibited on the netball courts)
Dog beach locations
- Part of Quinns Rocks Beach, Quinns Rocks - north from Tapping Way
- Part of Yanchep Beach, Yanchep - south from Nautical Court
- Part of Two Rocks Beach, Two Rocks - south of the southern groyne