Online forms: Public Question Time
Use this form to submit questions for an upcoming Council meeting.
Council allows a minimum of 15 minutes for public questions and statements at each Council meeting. If there are not sufficient questions to fill the allocated time, the person presiding will move on to the next item. If there are more questions than can be dealt with in the 15 minutes allotted, the person presiding will determine whether to extend question time.
During the meeting, no member of the public may interrupt the meeting’s proceedings or enter into conversation. Each person seeking to ask questions during public question time may address the council for a maximum of 3 minutes each.
Members of the public wishing to submit written questions are requested to lodge them with the Chief Executive Officer at least 30 hours prior to the start of the meeting.
The person presiding will control public question time and ensure that each person wishing to ask a question is given a fair and equal opportunity to do so. A person wishing to ask a question should state his or her name and address before asking the question. If the question relates to an item on the agenda, the item number should also be stated.
The following general rules apply to question and statement time:
- Questions should only relate to the business of the council and should not be a statement or personal opinion.
- Only questions relating to matters affecting Council will be considered at an ordinary meeting, and at a special meeting only questions that relate to the purpose of the meeting will be considered. Questions may be taken on notice and responded to after the meeting.
- Questions may not be directed at specific members of council or employees.
- Questions & statements are not to be framed in such a way as to reflect adversely on a particular Elected Member or Officer.
- The first priority will be given to persons who are asking questions relating to items on the current meeting agenda.
- The second priority will be given to public statements. Only statements regarding items on the agenda under consideration will be heard.