Ranger Services

The City’s Rangers act as the ‘eyes and ears’ of the City.

Our Ranger patrols are a vital part of helping to make our community a safer place. If you have any safety concerns, please contact the City's Ranger and Safety Services during office hours. After office hours, you can contact us on 1300 138 393. Click here to see what a typical day for a City of Wanneroo ranger entails!

Good News Story
Domestic Pets & Livestock
Off Road Vehicles
Graffiti Removal

Good News Story - Ranger Geraldine


Pictured: Animal Care Centre Officer Bethany

Long lost cat Reunited with owner

Ranger Geraldine received a call regarding a cat collection from Alkimos. Residents had noticed a cat lingering for a few days so they contained the cat and awaited Ranger Geraldine's arrival. The cat, named Soxy was temporarily held at the Animal Care Centre. During this time Ranger Geraldine attempted to locate the owners. Unfortunately the cat was not registered but luckily Soxy was microchipped. When the Butler resident received the call that their cat had been found, there were tears and shock; Soxy had been missing for 18 months! The Butler resident was over the moon to be reunited with Soxy. First on her to-do list was to register Soxy with the City of Wanneroo.

Ensuring your cat is sterilised, microchipped and registered are the three basic requirements of the new Cat Act. Following these simple responsibilities will enable the City to contact you should your cat go missing.

Cat owners who do not comply with regulations may be issued with an on-the-spot fine of $200.

Click here for more information on the Cat Act and what this means for you.


Rangers can provide advice and assistance in a number of ways:

  • Preventing and deterring people from littering and dumping rubbish
  • Reporting and preventing vandalism and theft to City property
  • Dog & Cat registration and tips on how to look after your pets
  • Managing the Animal Care Centre
  • Returning lost pets to their owners, or finding new homes for stray animals
  • Dog Beaches
  • Spear gun control
  • Reporting and removing abandoned vehicles
  • Patrols of City parks, reserves and buildings
  • Unauthorised signs in public areas
  • Unauthorised street and verge parking
  • Off road vehicle access areas
  • Working with Police and other agencies to report anti social or criminal behaviour

You will need to contact Police for the following:

  • Hooning & Road Policing
  • Antisocial Behaviour
  • Alcohol & Drug use / concerns
  • CCTV on Private Property / Privacy Concerns
  • Registering a Party
  • Noise Complaints
  • Neighbour Disputes
  • Burglary / Robbery
  • Assault
  • Domestic Violence

Only call 000 in an emergency or life-threatening situation.

Call 131 444 for police assistance or attendance and when it is not an emergency

Abandoned Shopping Trolleys

How to report abandoned shopping trolleys:
Trolley Tracker is a concerted effort that asks shoppers, the community and local Councils to work together to manage trolleys. The City asks shoppers to return trolleys they use and to report trolleys which have been abandoned and thus reduce the impace on the local environment.

TROLLEY TRACKER* Call: 1800 641 497 free call  (except from mobile phones)

Click to Report Online
Click to get Mobile Phone App

Dan Murphy's
IGA (Selected Stores)

*This service is run externally from the City of Wanneroo

Coles Supermarkets have introduced a shopping trolley action plan to address the issue of abandoned trolleys across the City's district.

Coles Supermarkets* Call: 1800 876 553

Email: 1800TROLLEY@coles.com.au
SMS: 0400 55 66 66

Download the Coles App from iStore and Android store.

Coles & Wesfarmers
Office Works

*This service is run externally from the City of Wanneroo.

To report abandoned trolleys from any other stores please call the City on 9405 5000 during business hours or 1300 13 83 93 and Rangers will respond.

For a listing of supermarkets within the City of Wanneroo click here.

Litter and Illegal Dumping of Rubbish

In August 2012 the Western Australian Parliament passed amendments to the Litter Act 1979 which resulted in an increase in littering penalties and a greater range of littering offences.

In Western Australia littering infringements can be issued by authorised officers that include: police officers, local government rangers and other officers employed by government departments that oversee the protection of the environment and waterways.

Throwing or dropping litter, even unintentionally, is an offence according to the Litter Act 1979. Dumping rubbish of any kind on any land not specified as a waste facility is also considered littering and attracts the same penalties under the Litter Act.

If you are aware of any illegal dumping (litter, rubble, waste...) contact Ranger Services on 9405 5000. Our Rangers will investigate requests relating to these matters, and this may result in the offenders being issued with an infringement notice or prosecution. Vehicle registration numbers of offenders should be recorded where possible as this will assist in investigations.

Littering Fines will now cost more

  • Cigarette butt littering fines have increased from $75 to $200 for individuals and $500 for corporations (businesses)
  • Fines for some offences have increased to $500 for individuals and $2000 for corporations
  • If taken to court, maximum penalties for littering offences have increased to $5000 for individuals and $10000 for corporations, or in the case of offences against the litter regulations, $5000 for both individuals and corporations

Vehicle owners will now have to take responsibility for any littering from their vehicle

In cases of littering from vehicles, where neither the litterer nor the driver of the vehicle can be identified, the person responsible for the vehicle (usually the registered owner) will be deemed to have committed the offence and will have to pay the fine unless they can identify the offender.

For a complete list of litter penalties see - New WA Litter Fines Fact Sheet (this opens an external website)

Illegal dumping

Illegal dumping is a particular type of littering where people go out of their way to dump their rubbish. Illegal dumping of waste is an environmental crime that is ongoing and a highly visible problem.

It includes waste materials that have been dumped, tipped or otherwise deposited onto land. Illegal dumping varies from small bags of rubbish in an urban environment to larger scale dumping of waste materials in isolated areas, such as bushland.

More serious illegal dumping occurs where people fill up trailers and trucks with all sorts of items and materials and dump them in an area where they think they will not be seen such as National Parks, bushland reserves, parks, industrial and building sites.

In the 2011 / 2012 financial year, clean up of illegal dumping cost the City of Wanneroo $171 000. The money used to clean up illegally dumped rubbish could be better used to improve the City’s infrastructure assets or to provide new facilities such as children’s playgrounds.

Report Illegal Dumping

Report illegal dumping in Western Australia to the illegal dumping hotline on 1300 766 541 or the City's Rangers on 9405 5000 during office hours or 1300 138 393 after hours. People who witness illegal dumping should if possible, and without placing themselves at risk, take note of the following:

  • Date, time and place the offence was committed.
  • Description of the offender.
  • Vehicle make, model, colour and registration.
  • Type of litter or nature of the illegal dumping.

Illegal dumping can be prosecuted under the Environmental Protection Act 1986 with maximum fines of $62,500 for individuals and $125,000 for corporate bodies (businesses). Under the Litter Act 1979 minor illegal dumping can attract an infringement notice of $500 or $2,000 if taken to court.

Photographic or video evidence will also assist Rangers follow up with any prosecutions that may result from the information. People who report littering or illegal dumping offences can remain anonymous however; to increase the chances of a prosecution it is preferable that these people are available to provide a witness statement.

Keep Australia Beautiful

Visit the Keep Australia Beautiful website to read more about illegal dumping and recent prosecutions.

Abandoned & Impounded Vehicles

In accordance with the Local Government Act 1995, vehicles that have been abandoned and removed by the City of Wanneroo are placed in the City’s impounding yard. Details of these vehicles are displayed on the City of Wanneroo public notice boards located at: City of Wanneroo Ashby Operations Centre and the Civic Centre, Wanneroo. The vehicles may be claimed by telephoning Ranger Services on 9405 5000 and supplying proof of ownership. An impound fee will be charged at this time. In the event of the vehicles not being claimed by the owner within two months of impounding, Council may arrange for their disposal by public auction or tender.

Unauthorised Signs

Signs are not permitted on any public property (e.g. road reserves, nature strips, median strips, traffic islands or roundabouts) within the City of Wanneroo. Community interest signs, such as sport signs and school fetes etc may be permitted by obtaining written approval from the City's Infrastructure Planning Department. Any signs located by Rangers may be seized and the owner prosecuted. Impounded signs may be recovered from the City by contacting Ranger Services to arrange pickup. A fee of $50 per impounded sign applies.


Domestic Pets & Livestock



Households in residential areas are limited to two dogs, while up to six dogs may be kept on a rural property. Please note that the rural property must be over 4 hectares for up to 6 dogs to be authorised by Council. Households can apply for permission to keep more than two dogs by sending a letter to the City of Wanneroo outlining the reasons why they wish to keep more than the required number of dogs. A fee of $150.00 applies to the application. The fee is non refundable should the application be rejected.


All dogs over the age of three months must be registered, and wear both a registration tag and disc showing the owner’s name and address. Owners of unregistered dogs can incur a $200 on the spot fine.

The dog registration period is from 1 November to 31 October. Dog registration renewals are forwarded to registered dog owners in October each year. Dog registration fees for unsterilised dogs are currently $50 a year, or $120 for three years or $250 for lifetime registration. Sterilised dogs are $20 a year, or $42.50 for three years or $100 for lifetime registration. Dangerous dogs (both declared and restricted breed) are not eligible for extended or lifetime registration.

1 year and 3 year dog registrations expire 31 October regardless of the month your dog is registered. Please note, for any new annual dog registrations purchased from the 1 June to 31 October, the fee payable to the City is half the normal price as the registration will expire on the 31 October of that same year.

Normal fees apply for 3 year and lifetime dog registrations. The microchip number must be provided at the time of registration.

Proof of sterilisation is required, and is usually provided by a Veterinary Surgeon’s Certificate, or a Statutory Declaration made by the owner. The sighting of a tattoo ear insignia denoting a sterilised dog is also acceptable.

Please ensure form is completed, signed and returned by post with payment or alternatively attend one of the City's facilities as listed on the registration form. Important - No Facsimile or emailed copies will be accepted.


  • From 01 November 2013, dogs must be microchipped when they are registered for the first time or when a change of ownership occurs.
  • By 30 November 2013 all dangerous dogs, which includes restricted breeds, and commercial security dogs, must be microchipped.
  • By 01 November 2015, all dogs must be microchipped.

Dog Sterilisation Subsidy

Have you recently collected a dog from the City of Wanneroo’s Animal Care Centre and had it sterilised within three months of that date? If so, you may be eligible for a sterilisation subsidy.

Please contact Ranger Services on 9405 5000 to determine your eligibility.


A refund is available if:

  • a dog has been sterilised during a registration period. A copy of the sterilisation certificate with a covering letter is required before a refund can be issued.
  • a person obtains the concession card during the registration period. A copy of the Pensioner Concession Card with a covering letter is required before the refund can be issued.

Pensioner Rebates

Upon production of a Pensioner Concession Card, pensioners may register their dogs for half the usual fee.

Owners’ Responsibilities

As an owner, you have a number of responsibilities as outlined by the Dog Act 1976, which states owners must ensure their dog:

  • Wears a collar displaying the owner’s name, address and Council registration tag attached when in public places
  • Can be confined to the premises where it lives
  • Is held by a competent person capable of controlling a dog on a maximum two metre lead when in public places
  • In designated areas, dogs may be exercised off a leash, but the person in control of the dog must carry a leash in case it is required
  • Is registered in one person’s name who is over the age of 18 years

The City must be notified in writing about any change of address or dog ownership so registration records can be kept up to date.

Exercise Areas

Dogs may be exercised on most City of Wanneroo reserves, with the exceptions being:

  • Frederick J Stubbs Grove, Quinns Rocks
  • Beach Reserves, except designated areas
  • Wanneroo Showgrounds, Wanneroo
  • Kingsway Sporting Complex (dogs may be exercised on a leash only but are prohibited on the netball courts)

Dog Beach Locations

The following are designated beach reserves:

  • part of Quinns Rocks Beach, Quinns Rocks, north from Tapping Way
  • part of Yanchep Beach, Yanchep, south from Nautical Court
  • part of Two Rocks Beach, Two Rocks, south of the southern groyne

Please click here to download maps.

Barking Dogs

The City has developed a procedure to better administer barking dog complaints from residents within the City of Wanneroo.

The procedure is a step by step process and the successful resolution of a barking dog complaint relies on the full and timely participation of the complainants and of the dog owner.
The City cannot progress barking dog complaints without first having the necessary evidence from the complainants supporting their allegation of a nuisance. This evidence will be in the form of diaries and signed complaint forms that satisfy the requirements of the Dog Act 1976.

For further information on the City’s procedure and how to obtain dog barking diaries please call Regulatory Services on 9405 5000.


The Cat Act 2011 was passed by the West Australian Parliament in November 2011. So what does this mean for your feline friends?

Your Cat and the Law 2014.pdf

What does this mean for me?

The Cat Act is Western Australia wide. The requirements will not vary between Local Governments.

From 1 November 2013 the law will require all domestic cats six months and older to be:

  • Registered with a local government 
  • Sterilised (unless used for breeding by a registered breeder)
  • Microchipped so they can be returned to their owners if lost, stolen or straying from their owner's property

How much are the registration fees?

The cat registration period is from 1 November to 31 October (1 year and 3 year cat registrations expire 31 October regardless of the month your cat was registered). Cat registration renewals are forwarded to registered cat owners in October each year.

Cat registration fees are currently $20 a year, $42.50 for three years and $100 for lifetime registration.

As from 1 June each year, half the normal fee will be applicable to the FIRST annual registrations only.

Can I have a registration form?

Download a registration form by clicking here.

Please ensure the form is completed in full, signed and returned by post with payment. Alternatively, attend one of the City's facilities (listed on the registration form).

IMPORTANT - No facsimile or emailed copies will be accepted.

The microchip number must be completed for the registration form to be processed.

My cat is really old, and I don't want to stress him/her out by having him/her sterilised/micro chipped now.
The City will require documentation from your vet advising that surgery would have an effect on your cat's health.  Please note, a statutory declaration is not sufficient.

Visit the Cat Haven at www.cathaven.com.au (this will open an external website) for all of your sterilisation and microchipping needs, as well as events leading up to the changes in November.

For more information on how the Act will affect you, visit the Department of Local Government's Cat Act 2011 Frequently Asked Questions webpage at www.dlg.wa.gov.au (this will open an external website).    

Some facts regarding your feline friends: 

  • Only a registered cat breeder may have an unsterilized cat
  • All cats must be micro chipped, sterilised and registered. There is an option for lifetime registration of a cat

To download the new Cat Laws brochure, please click here.
Please click here for information on the Cat Act.


A person shall not keep or suffer to remain, in any residential area, a rooster, turkey, goose or geese, peacock or a peahen.


A person shall not keep more than 12 poultry (including a maximum of 2 ducks) in any residential area.

Conditions for keeping poultry in residential areas


For information regarding the keeping and impounding of livestock, please contact Ranger Services on 9405 5000.



School Road Safety Awareness Program

The City of Wanneroo is involved with many partners to assist local schools improve parking and safety around schools by promoting alternatives to driving to school at peak times.

This program involves the City of Wanneroo, the School and the P&C / P&F Associations to promote a whole school community approach to road safety to and from school. To find out more about this program please download the School Parking Brochure.
Please click here to download the School Parking Brochure.

Off Road Vehicles

(Control of Vehicles - Off Road Areas Act 1978)

Off road vehicle control is another major role of the City’s Rangers. With 32 kilometres of coastline in addition to the large areas of undeveloped land, control and enforcement of four wheel drive vehicles, trail bikes and quad bikes is essential. The City’s Rangers receive in excess of 400 complaints about off road vehicles per year.

Requirements for Off Road Vehicles

All off-road vehicles used in areas covered by the Act, other than on private land with consent of the owner, must be registered. Road registered vehicles (Licensed) do not require separate off-road vehicle registration.

The following summarises the difference between the two methods:

Licensed: The off road vehicle requires to be licensed if there is a legitimate need to access one or more public roads (even if it is only for the purpose of crossing).

Registered: Off road vehicle registered and off road plates issued. In order to access the designated off road vehicle areas, motorcycles, quads and other off road vehicles are required to have Off Road Vehicle registration. Registered off road vehicles are not permitted on public roads.

Registration plates must be affixed to the off road vehicle and be plainly visible.

The Department of Transport – licensing / registration information & required forms.(this will open an external website)

Off Road Vehicle Locations

If you plan on driving or riding an Off Road Vehicle within the City of Wanneroo then you will need to know the areas that you are permitted to go.

Off Road vehicles can only be used on permitted areas or on private land with the consent of the landowner (please note, noise restrictions may apply. Speak with a Health Officer to gain more information – 9405 5000). Fines apply for vehicles being used in non-permitted areas.

Local Government Area 
City of Wanneroo
9405 5000

Pinjar Off Road Vehicle Area
Cnr Old Yanchep Rd & Wattle Ave
Controlled by DEC

City of Swan
9267 9267
Gnangara Off Road Vehicle Area
Gnangara Rd, Lexia. West of Beachboro Rd intersection
Shire of Gingin
9575 2211
Lancelin Off Road Vehicle Area
Entrance off Bootoo St
Shire of Gingin
9575 2211

Ledge Point Off Road Vehicle Area
Ledge Point Road, just off Lancelin Rd.

No vehicles (registered or unregistered) are allowed on environmentally sensitive areas such as beaches, foreshores or dunes.

Maps Where Off Road Vehicles are Permitted


Please click below to download the Off Road Vehicle brochure.

Off Road Vehicle Brochure.pdf


Graffiti Removal

The City graffiti removal response is managed by the Building Maintenance business unit.

The City removes graffiti from the following structures:

  • City owned assets and infrastructure
  • Private residential boundary fencing adjoining public land.

The City is not responsible for removing graffiti from private property, schools, commercial sites, development sites, shopping centres, businesses and public utilities.

The City utilizes the following resources to remove graffiti vandalism within the City:

  • 2 x full time in-house Graffiti Removal Operators (two dean fully equipped vehicles with trailer, water tank and water-blaster)
  • Graffiti Removal Contractors

Graffiti Removal Process and Procedures

The general policy and process for graffiti removal is as follows:

  • The City can receive reports from public, COW staff, volunteers etc. by phone, fax, email, letter or in person. To report graffiti online, click here
  • Report goes to either in-house staff, contractor or is redirected to the PAV e-mail address
  • The City obtains from the property owner an indemnity prior to removing any graffiti
  • Digital photographs are taken of the graffiti prior to its removal and stored on the City's data base should the police require them as evidence
  • A database in the form of a spreadsheet is maintained of reports received about graffiti
  • Method of removal (either chemical removal or paint-out) is decided by the operator or owners by special request
  • The City aims to remove graffiti within 24 to 48 hours of notification, weather and workload permitting. With offensive graffiti being removed within four hours of notification;

Contact Details:

City of Wanneroo e-mail: buildingm@wanneroo.wa.gov.au (graffiti removal only. For all other Rangers queries please email: enquiries@wanneroo.wa.gov.au)
Phone number: 9405 5220 (with answering machine - Please note this phone number is for graffiti removal only). For all other queries please call 9405 5000 or after hours: 1300 13 83 93.

Goodbye Graffiti

The Goodbye Graffiti website is an online information service to assist the Western Australian community with graffiti removal, reporting and prevention advice. 

If graffiti vandalism occurs on your own property or a property you are responsible for, you should report the incident as soon as possible.

Watch the video on Goodbye Graffiti here!



23 Dundebar Road, Wanneroo WA 6065 | Locked Bag 1, Wanneroo WA 6946
Powered by Seamless CMS