Public Community Event - Access & Inclusion
It is important for all event organisers to ensure their event is accessible and inclusive for all community members, including; people with a disability, people using mobility aids, seniors, people using prams and people from a culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds. This is also likely to increase attendance at your event by ensuring it appeals to a wider audience.
When planning your event, consideration should be given to a range of issues, including:
- Accessible paths, ramps, entries and exits
- Accessible seating and designated areas
- Accessible toilets
- Accessible parking bays
- Sound amplification, hearing loops and quiet zones
- Public transport access
- Marketing, signage design and positioning
- The availability of staff /volunteers to provide assistance
- Information available in a range of formats (or available on request).
- Ample space for wheelchairs
- Water bowls and rest areas for companion animals
- A range of healthy and/or culturally sensitive items food to choose from
- Shaded places to sit
Further support can be found on the Disability Service Commission Website.