Public Community Event - Access & Inclusion
It is important for all event organisers to ensure their event is accessible and inclusive for all community members, including; people with a disability, people using mobility aids, seniors, people using prams and people from a culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds. This is also likely to increase attendance at your event by ensuring it appeals to a wider audience.
When planning your event, consideration should be given to a range of issues, including:
- Accessible paths, ramps, entries and exits
- Accessible seating and designated areas
- Accessible toilets
- Accessible parking bays
- Sound amplification, hearing loops and quiet zones
- Public transport access
- Marketing, signage design and positioning
- The availability of staff /volunteers to provide assistance
- Information available in a range of formats (or available on request).
- Ample space for wheelchairs
- Water bowls and rest areas for companion animals
- A range of healthy and/or culturally sensitive items food to choose from
- Shaded places to sit
For information or advice please refer to the City’s Access and Inclusion Plan or contact the City’s Diversity Officer on 9405 5918.
Further support can be found on the Disability Service Commission Website.